YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 04.17.14 | 

The hot seat >> Morality

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Reged: 12/29/03
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Cat Hunting
      #685841 - 04/13/05 09:17 AM (134.67.6.3)

Is this moral?

Cat Hunting

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fredn8v
FUG Junior

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Spotsylvania
Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Chipotle_Man]
      #685998 - 04/13/05 01:42 PM (162.84.75.47)

Why would hunting feral cats be a moral question any more than hunting other animals? If you object to all hunting, then I guess you would see this as wrong. The biggest problem I can foresee is the shooting of people's pets by "mistake"

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Reged: 03/04/03
      #686026 - 04/13/05 02:20 PM (68.110.246.217)

Post this up in the Pet Forum if ya wanna see some flamin

The animal huggers will have a cow.

If you don't I will.

Oh, and on the morality part

It is IMMORAL to NOT shoot the invasive non native species that are disrupting the ecosystem,and spreading disease,not to mention killin all the Baby rabbits,quail,turkey and ducks that I like to hunt in November.

I personaly abide by the laws of the state, but I can say pretty confidently that areas where the feral cat population is kept "in check" the percentage of baby critters mentioned above that live past two months increases substantialy.

Most of these species have a high 1st year mortality rate as it is. Anything we can do to help is a plus.

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

Reged: 10/25/03
Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Fredn8v]
      #686028 - 04/13/05 02:22 PM (70.104.236.204)

There is no real way to distinguish between a pet cat and a feral one without close examination. Not to mention the possibility for very cruel ways for those cats to be killed. They need to have better animal controls laws where strays are caught and spayed/neutered and released or taken to shelters and adopted out.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Hurdleguru]
      #686032 - 04/13/05 02:33 PM (68.110.246.217)

Who's gonna pay for all this ?

Not with MY tax money.

You can't spay and neuter wild Animals to control a wild population.

Thats insane.

If a cat is wanderin around my hunting grounds he's liable ta be outa luck - cause my hunting dogs don't like em - (if ya know what I mean)

Also, it has been ruled in a court of law that shooting cats, ar any animal for that matter is not "cruelty"

It's "animal control"

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#686033 - 04/13/05 02:34 PM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: Fredn8v

Why would hunting feral cats be a moral question any more than hunting other animals? If you object to all hunting, then I guess you would see this as wrong. The biggest problem I can foresee is the shooting of people's pets by "mistake"

Well we are talking about people's pets, that's why.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: JLOWE]
      #686037 - 04/13/05 02:43 PM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: JLOWE

It is IMMORAL to NOT shoot the invasive non native species that are disrupting the ecosystem,and spreading disease,not to mention killin all the Baby rabbits,quail,turkey and ducks that I like to hunt in November.

Most of these species have a high 1st year mortality rate as it is. Anything we can do to help is a plus.

So be it, but let a professional do this. It's too dangerous to allow the public have open season on all cats. Just because you have a hunting licence doesn't mean you can shoot straight.

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

Reged: 05/21/04
Loc: sleeping, hopfeully
      #686039 - 04/13/05 02:51 PM (128.172.144.225)

As for the original question... immoral... no.

Quote: JLOWE

Also, it has been ruled in a court of law that shooting cats, ar any animal for that matter is not "cruelty"

It's "animal control"

I'd be intersted in seeing this ruling.

Quote: Virginia State Law

Section 4554. Cruelty to animals. - Any person who overrides, over drives, overloads, tortures, ill-treats, or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another, or deprives any animal of necessary sustenance, owner of such animal permits such acts to be done by another, or who willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal; or who shall carry or cause to be carried in or upon any vehicle or vessel or otherwise any animal in a cruel, brutal, or inhuman manner, so as to produce torture or unnecessary suffering, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor; but nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the dehorning of cattle.

In Alabama, for example, one may shoot bob cats while out hunting. Is this perhaps what you mean?

--------------------
You suck.

The Ronald McDonald House of NOVA does not.

XBeast
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 12/02/02
      #686042 - 04/13/05 02:55 PM (12.103.1.66)

http://flashplayer.com/games/kittencannon_movie.php#bottom

--------------------
“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand” Milton Friedman

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: XBeast]
      #686044 - 04/13/05 03:00 PM (134.67.6.3)

Is that game moral? hahaha....

Looks like the law didn't pass.

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 10/30/03
      #686048 - 04/13/05 03:08 PM (63.167.255.203)

Here's a moral issue then....
What about sex offenders, can we have open season on them 24/7?

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: eskieluvr]
      #686063 - 04/13/05 04:05 PM (68.110.246.217)

There's plenty a bobcats in Va.

You CAN shoot em too.

You don't remember the court case not too long ago where a landlord Took the 12 gauge to a tenants cat ?

She was told to remove the cat from the premises (no pets allowed)

Several times

He comes to inspect the property and gets mad and shoots the cat - in the yard not in the house

Anyway he's charged with animal cruelty

Judge says NO
it's not cruelty - throws out those charges

Then busts him on destruction a private property or somethin like that.

Why is a FERAL CAT any different than a fox, bobcat,or coyote ?

Fox Bobcat, and coyote are all controlled by hunting.

Why not feral cats ?

Don't worry though eski

It's not gonna happen here

Out in the country feral cats get controlled already . . .
It's in the urban areas where there is NO hunting anyway that feral cats are a problem.

Hunting is not gonna be a solution there.

The only reaon cats are protected now is cause they're classified as a "domestic" animal.

Feral cats really should be classified as a "nuisance" species like coyotes,starlings,sparrows,mice,rats or groundhogs.

Quote:

Virginia game law:

Bobcat

Season:

November 1–January 31

Bag Limit:

Two per hunting party taken between noon one day and noon the following day. Season bag limit shall be 12 bobcats in the aggregate, taken by hunting and trapping combined.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#686066 - 04/13/05 04:20 PM (68.110.246.217)

Back to the subject

Cat hunting

It's best early morning and late evening.

The edges of fields, cut over timber areas and the like.
(any place that has a lot of mice rabbits and birds)

A standard predator call (dying rabbit sounds) work well.

A bird wing or a few feathers tied on a string in the open that will flutter about will attract their attention away from the caller when they approach.

Your'e stand location should face downwind - they almost always approach from that direction.

.22 rifles are good weapons of choice, but shotguns are equaly at home as its easier to hit one on the run.

Joke of course

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 09/30/04
Re: Cat Hunting [Re: CynsCAG]
      #686122 - 04/13/05 06:31 PM (138.88.251.147)

Quote: CynsCAG

Sounds good to me. Lets go hunting.

--------------------
An egomaniac is someone who is hard of listening.

Wine must be good for you, Jesus drank it.

drobert
FUG Honcho

Reged: 02/07/04
      #686129 - 04/13/05 06:43 PM (68.110.254.24)

I own little over an acre but would welcome the season. Damn tired of cats that belong to everyone else, killing the birds and rabbits on our property.
Every year, I find a number of rabbit nest that have been destroyed by a cat. The time to control them is now, not when they over populate the county.

XBeast
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: drobert]
      #686137 - 04/13/05 07:02 PM (69.160.81.59)

Just put out some bowls of some nice smelly tasty food with a lot of asprin mixed in. I would imagine there would be fewer around real soon.

--------------------
“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand” Milton Friedman

joyfulgirl
Super FUG

Reged: 03/28/04
Loc: spotsylvania
      #686189 - 04/13/05 08:50 PM (69.174.0.99)

I can't imagine getting a kick out of shooting cats, but then again I wouldn't want to shoot deer (or whatever else people hunt) either.

--------------------
most people like to talk a lot, including you
you know there isn't much i have to say
that i wouldn't rather just shut up and do

SJnPJ
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 01/24/03
Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Hurdleguru]
      #686191 - 04/13/05 08:53 PM (207.69.136.200)

Quote: Hurdleguru

There is no real way to distinguish between a pet cat and a feral one without close examination. Not to mention the possibility for very cruel ways for those cats to be killed. They need to have better animal controls laws where strays are caught and spayed/neutered and released or taken to shelters and adopted out.

Non-sense. In our state we also have a feral problem. Maybe it is not cats. It is hogs. The south for that matter has a feral hog problem. Just ask those that live in the Carolinas. I don't think they are talking about going downtown hunting cats. Or to little rural towns hunting cats on main street. They are talking about killing the ones out in the wild killing other animals. Cats do spread certain ills. Feline aids for one. Just one cat can kill one whole nest of ducks. Just as a group of hog can wipe out and enitre crop. If they have that much of a problem up there shooting them is the most cost effictive option. You can't train a wild cat to be tame. Heck you have some cheap persons and Fred talk that object making a dog park for dogs. You really think they want to catch wild cats?

XBeast
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: joyfulgirl]
      #686193 - 04/13/05 08:55 PM (69.160.81.59)

Hunting is surely not for everyone.

--------------------

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

#686200 - 04/13/05 09:03 PM (162.83.100.227)

You'd be wrong. 2 cats can produce 10k offspring in 5 years. Killing a few isn't going to solve the problem. Many areas have found ways to start controlling populations. Virginia is behind.

Look into what happened in Australia when rabbits, a non native species, was introduced. They multiplied and ran over the place. A posion was created that killed 99% of them. The 1% that survived repopulated and their offspring was immune to the poison.

It's called aggressive spaying and neutering... ie free for ferals and for the public. Now before you go getting your panties in a wad, and start screaming "not with my tax dollars" consider that the tax dollars that you already give for animal control to keep, medicate, kill, and then dispose of unwanted animals. The money spent to pick up stray dogs... etc... Counties in Texas that have started spay/neuter problems have seen a drastic reduction in the amount of cats brought to the shelter. Less animals producing is less stray dogs, less stray cats. Of course, its a program that takes a few years to see the results. Or we can keep doing it the tried and well, totally unefficient way that has proven not to work. Or we can use the tried and true "ounce of prevention" tactic.

And the county is already over run with ferals. Its just that cats are nocturnal, and very good at hiding. They are totally skiddish of humans.

I personally believe that cats should not be listed as free roaming animals. I believe that pet owners should license cats, just like dogs are licensed. I believe that cats should be kept indoors, and that anyone who lets their cat roam should consider that when you open your door to let your cat out, you are ultimately responsible for what happens to your cat.. not the kid with the bb gun, not the teenager driving too fast, not the neighbor who leaves out bowls full of aspirin. I also believe that a license to keep an unaltered animal should be costly. License cats to generate extra income to start to solve the problem through education.

Okay, so lets say we kill all the cats now in Spotsy. 6 months and the population is back up. A feral cat, that survives infancy, only has a life expectancy of 2-4 years. These populations are constantly and consistently replacing themselves. A kitten can have babies at 4 months, and can have 3- 4 litters a year. One pregnant cat can start its own colony.

Short term planning will do nothing to solve the problem. And the problem isn't going anywhere as long there are irresposnible pet owners who think nothing of dropping off their pregnant cat at the local burger king... or the family that moves and leaves their unaltered cats.

It's more effective, and more efficient use of the resources we already have. It's more humane, saves money in the long run, and saves all the little birdies and rabbits everyone is so fond of.

JLOWE, laws really mean nothing. No one has the resources to enforce them.

I know a woman in Maryland who was busted for felony animal cruelty in MD (not a felony in va). Look up Linda Favre online. Hundreds of cats hoarded into a home. Hundreds dead, and she did 30 days in jail. Now if this is what the worst offender gets(largest case of animal cruelty extraction in the US) what does the guy down the street get?

--------------------
You suck.

The Ronald McDonald House of NOVA does not.

Edited by eskieluvr (04/13/05 09:07 PM)

SJnPJ
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 01/24/03
      #686201 - 04/13/05 09:04 PM (207.69.136.200)

Certainly would save prison cost and keep the recidivism rate in check. It would also end them preying on someone else.

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 01/20/05
Loc: this side of the mountain
      #686243 - 04/13/05 10:40 PM (69.175.80.191)

I so agree with you Eskie. We had a stray show up on our doorstep. Turns out she was pregnant. So we brought her in, she had her litter and I got her spayed. I found homes for two of the kittens and kept the other two. I sent mom on her way because I could not get her to be consistent with the litterbox and feared she would set up a terrible situation with the kittens. Now I'm faced with two young cats who will do anything to get out. Just today I decided that the only way to get him back in the house was the hose. He was drenched but he was really happy to be back inside. I don't want them to be outdoors at all. They might disagree but if they really want to catch bugs they just need to wait a little bit and I'm sure the kids will let in plenty of flies.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#686424 - 04/14/05 07:58 AM (68.110.246.217)

Please explain how a dead cat can reproduce more than a spayed one.

There is NO logical explanation for your opposition to listing feral cats as nuisance species.

Were not talking about city,town,or suburban cats here.

Were talking about rural ones.

There will NEVER be a "spay neuter" solution - show me a RURAL area in which this has worked.

We have a continuous open season on coyotes with thousands of hunters in the woods in Virginia.

The population is still increasing.

What are you gonna do ?

Get 20,OOO PEOPLE to live trap cats on somebody elses private property ?

And then spay and neuter them all ?

INSANE

Pie in the sky

I don't believe were even discussing this.

I don't think cats will ever come off of the protected "domesticated animal" list in Virginia.

So it's really a moot point.

Us practical people will just continue doing what we have always done.

I'm done with this subject.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#686431 - 04/14/05 08:08 AM (134.67.6.3)

Cats are born free. There should be no such thing as a house cat. They like the thrill of their hunt and they can only get that outside the home. The problem is if it becomes legal to shoot them then the cat haters will come out in droves and the pet kittens in quiet neighborhoods will be slaughtered as well as the cats in over populated areas. Any out door cat faces the danger of their own environment, but now they may have to dodge bullets as well.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#686551 - 04/14/05 11:21 AM (68.110.246.217)

I was callin Turkeys last saturday mornin when a big ol Tom cat come sneakin in lookin for a turkey or turkey egg breakfast.

Pissed me off.

FredVegas
Super FUG

Reged: 09/12/03
Loc: Stoc: Two Smoking Barrels
      #686603 - 04/14/05 12:22 PM (204.232.13.2)

Quote: eskieluvr

Section 4554. Cruelty to animals. - Any person who overrides, over drives, overloads, tortures, ill-treats, or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another, or deprives any animal of necessary sustenance, owner of such animal permits such acts to be done by another, or who willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal; or who shall carry or cause to be carried in or upon any vehicle or vessel or otherwise any animal in a cruel, brutal, or inhuman manner, so as to produce torture or unnecessary suffering, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor; but nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the dehorning of cattle.

I highlighted another important word that you missed.

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: FredVegas]
      #686609 - 04/14/05 12:36 PM (128.172.144.225)

Quote: FredVegas

I highlighted another important word that you missed.

and i highlighted the word on that phrase that you missed.

tayker
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 05/12/03
      #686610 - 04/14/05 12:45 PM (66.208.212.98)

What about the words that follow the comma? They all fall into "unnecessarily"

--------------------
I'm a peripheral visionary

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

#686611 - 04/14/05 12:47 PM (128.172.144.225)

Quote:

There is NO logical explanation for your opposition to listing feral cats as nuisance species.

I personally believe that cats should not be listed as free roaming animals.

When you've actually gone back and read my post, then we'll talk.

Perhaps you're talking about RURAL cat populations, but I'm not. Feral colonies in rural areas are not the problem they are in cities. Three things cause feral colonies to flourish 1.) Food source. (dumpsters, etc 2.) lack of prey (just cars in the city) 3.) Population (did you think these cats sponaneously appear?)

A rural setting has none of these. Colonies don't flourish in rural areas because 1.) people kill the few that are there 2.) there are predators that get em 3.) they starve to death.

Quote:

Please explain how a dead cat can reproduce more than a spayed one.

Please explain how killing cats is going to solve the problem when people will continue to drop off unwanted pregnant cats? What you gonna do, give people 20,000 guns to go one someone elses property? And them have em do it again in 6 months? Put about 50,000 bowls of antifreeze and rat poison? It's not a solution. It hasn't worked this far.

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: tayker]
      #686613 - 04/14/05 12:49 PM (128.172.144.225)

Quote: tayker

I disagree, but it doesn't matter anyway because it isn't enforced.

eskieluvr
Mega FUG

#686623 - 04/14/05 12:58 PM (128.172.144.225)

But you can't take unnecessarily out and not add the cruelly part. IS leaving out bowls of aspirin cruel? Yup. Is leaving out antifreeze cruel? Yup. Is shooting them cruel? Depends. How much time you got? Ferals usually only come out at night and stay under cover, so that isn't gonna do much anyway. Call Spotsy Sherrif, and they'll tell you that they're protected under VA law as "free roaming animals". Call AC and they'll loan you a trap so that you can catch them and bring them in so that they may be humanely euthanized.

FredVegas
Super FUG

Reged: 09/12/03
Loc: Stoc: Two Smoking Barrels
      #686626 - 04/14/05 01:01 PM (204.232.13.2)

"Beats" is the first word in a list, so yeah, it does fall into "unnecessarily".

--------------------
Why do people always search for sympathies on here?

tayker
FUGmaster Flash

#686632 - 04/14/05 01:25 PM (66.208.212.98)

But you can't take unnecessarily out and not add the cruelly part.

My bad, I assumed "cruelly" would've been included because of the word "or."

--------------------

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#686639 - 04/14/05 01:38 PM (160.111.254.11)

Quote: Chipotle_Man

Cats are born free. There should be no such thing as a house cat. They like the thrill of their hunt and they can only get that outside the home. The problem is if it becomes legal to shoot them then the cat haters will come out in droves and the pet kittens in quiet neighborhoods will be slaughtered as well as the cats in over populated areas. Any out door cat faces the danger of their own environment, but now they may have to dodge bullets as well.

My cat has never been out, she would be afraid if I let her out now. There is no where for her to do her cat things anyway, I really don't want her playing in the street. Cats live much longer when they are house cats. My cat does not have fleas, worms and parasites from eating birds and mice. We play together she roams around the house at night, she sometimes wakes me up when she is playing with something. She sleeps most of the day. My cat is healthy and happy as long as I give her food, water, her cat box and attention. She does not bother anyone, kill birds or mess with peoples property.

--------------------

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#686666 - 04/14/05 02:15 PM (68.110.246.217)

It's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that shooting cats is not an option in cities or suberbia
(did you read MY posts ?)

Right now, when I find wild cats on my hunting grounds (which I OFTEN do, and they're not starving)

I can NOT legaly kill them to protect the baby ducks,rabbits, quail,and turkeys that they feed on.

I have seen feral cats kill and eat adult rabbits on more than one occasion.

They actualy have adapted VERY WELL to Virginias mild climate, the only ones that might starve in the woods are the dumb ones, and they are quickly taken out of the gene pool.

Personaly, I would rather stay within the confines of the law when I'm hunting.

As it is now - I can NOT shoot feral cats on my hunting grounds.

VAinFred
FUG Professional

Reged: 01/07/05
Loc: No where
      #686681 - 04/14/05 02:43 PM (65.213.211.198)

Quote:

Feral cats really should be classified as a "nuisance" species like coyotes,starlings,sparrows,mice,rats or groundhogs.

That's a bunch of crap. Human criminals are the worst "nuisance" species on earth, besides maybe cockroaches. Why not classify habitual criminals in this way?
To all of you who are amused at the idea of killing any domestic, or any non-threatening animals:
When they put out a law to shoot dogs you will be pretty upset when your lab gets shot from some other jerk who decided that it was one of those "wild ones". What we need is "humane trapping" not a bunch of jerks with an unfair advantage (guns).
Remember, that we are all God's creatures, including the animals. And isn't it interesting how you think that hating something is so amusing? You must hate yourselves a lot to feel such hate about any little creatures that are just trying to survive and don't personally threaten you.
By the way, who was responsible for killing the rats that were spreading the black plaque that killed so many people. It wasn't aspirin in a bowl.
Be kind to animals and spread their unconditional love. Yes, I'm proud to be a vegetarian and an animal lover!

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: VAinFred]
      #686688 - 04/14/05 03:01 PM (68.110.246.217)

vegetarian : native American for "piss poor hunter"

Plenty a room for all a "Gods little creatures" at my house.

Right next to the Mashed potatoes.

Edited by JLOWE (04/14/05 03:04 PM)

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#686695 - 04/14/05 03:16 PM (65.213.211.198)

Oh, how original! Please..
I want to be vegetarian. I chose that way of life. My husband and I have been that way for a long time and for the record. "NO, I do not miss eating meat."
And before I am referred to as just another stupid yuppie "liberal" nut...
You'd have me very wrong. Yep, a conservative vegetarian-animal-lover.

tayker
FUGmaster Flash

#686701 - 04/14/05 03:23 PM (66.208.212.98)

Quote: VAinFred

To all of you who are amused at the idea of killing any domestic, or any non-threatening animals:
When they put out a law to shoot dogs you will be pretty upset when your lab gets shot from some other jerk who decided that it was one of those "wild ones".

That's right, because cats suck.

--------------------

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#686715 - 04/14/05 03:42 PM (160.111.254.11)

When they put out a law to shoot dogs you will be pretty upset when your lab gets shot from some other jerk who decided that it was one of those "wild ones".

That's right, because cats suck.

you suck

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#686719 - 04/14/05 03:49 PM (160.111.254.11)

I eat animals, that does not make me an animal hater, or a liberal.

I don't approve of killing anything for the fun of it. Killing an animal for food is fine, if the hunters don't kill the dear they will starve there are too many dear now. I even like foie gras.

--------------------

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: F_Stop]
      #686726 - 04/14/05 03:55 PM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: F_Stop

My cat has never been out, she would be afraid if I let her out now. There is no where for her to do her cat things anyway, I really don't want her playing in the street. Cats live much longer when they are house cats.

Some cats like the indoors. If your cat has always been indoors then it would be best not to let her out. I had a cat once that lived indoors for about 3 years. If she was having a bad day she would not use the litter box. That's fine... out the door she went. She was gone in 6 months. Someone probably shot her.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#686735 - 04/14/05 04:17 PM (134.67.6.3)

I currently have an outdoor cat now. If they pass this type of law I would be concerned for my cat. A friend of mine works in the food business. They have a large dumpster behind their home. Somehow the cats get in it and then take up residence there. They have a "cat hit man" come out every once and a while and shoot them all, then body bag them and dump them. If they kept their trash a little more tidy, this wouldn't be happening.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#686751 - 04/14/05 05:32 PM (68.110.254.24)

Don't mind spending tax dollars, if it helps solve a problem, that's why I oppose dog parks as they encourage growth of the dog population. We need less dogs and more required spaying and nuetering.
Not been a cat fan of any kind, I don't object to their reduction by any means.
The ASPCA recognizes cats as domestic animals. Governing bodies aren't intelligent enough to know their claim of cats being wild animals is opposite of the ASPCA organization.
Government tends to worry more about the vote count than the truth.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#686753 - 04/14/05 05:38 PM (68.110.254.24)

What you do is, establish a law that simply states a property owner has the right to dispose of stray cats in any humane manner, without recourse from government or owners who failed to keep their cat at home.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#686754 - 04/14/05 05:40 PM (68.110.254.24)

Check with game warden but I thought Virginia law allows you to destroy cats found hunting wild game, I know it does protect farm animals from cats and dogs.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#686755 - 04/14/05 05:42 PM (68.110.254.24)

Yeah, but cats help sharpen your shooting eye.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#686761 - 04/14/05 05:59 PM (68.110.254.24)

Or hit by a car or someone liked her better than you and took her home.
Cats are not born " free " unless they're strays or owned by bad pet owners.

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#686771 - 04/14/05 06:40 PM (138.88.103.222)

I currently have an outdoor cat now. If they pass this type of law I would be concerned for my cat. A friend of mine works in the food business. They have a large dumpster behind their home. Somehow the cats get in it and then take up residence there. They have a "cat hit man" come out every once and a while and shoot them all, then body bag them and dump them. If they kept their trash a little more tidy, this wouldn't be happening.

And you think cats should be out side? How long have you had your cat? Cats don't live that long when they are outdoor cats.

--------------------

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#686772 - 04/14/05 06:42 PM (69.175.80.191)

Those free roaming cats do threaten me. They disturb the rabbit I keep in my back yard. They spray and mark all over my house, cars, kids toys in the back yard. A stray cat could easily get rabies and put us at risk while we are in our back yard. Free raoming cats are just a bad idea. The whole point of domesticating them was to put them to use in the family. Letting them roam all over the neighborhood doesn't serve that purpose. They become stray, they become feral and they become a nuisance. They need to be controlled even if that comes from the business end of a muzzle. My cats try to get out but they are met with the business end of the garden hose. I love animals too, but I recognize that there is more than just loving them and leaving them be.

tayker
FUGmaster Flash

#686790 - 04/14/05 07:24 PM (69.174.41.196)

you suck

Man, cat owners are so easy to flush out. How many cat owners can handle a cat joke?

None, they have no sense of humor...BWAHAHAHAHAHHA

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#686800 - 04/14/05 07:49 PM (138.88.103.222)

You still suck

--------------------

Rumblefrog
Mega FUG

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon
      #686902 - 04/14/05 11:17 PM (67.189.72.95)

Quote:

Domesticated cats are not Lions or Tigers or Cougars. They were bread to be pets and are not equipped to be fully wild. They are an unnatural intrusion into the wild ecosystem and very destructive to the truly wild species.

There are a good many "stray" cats in my area, and many of them are crippled, diseased and injured. My daughter's cat is entirely a house cat - not allowed to go outside except under supervision. She is very healthy and apparently quite happy.

rellascout
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 02/09/04
      #687140 - 04/15/05 12:49 PM (66.225.91.10)

If your cat is on my property killing wildlife I enjoy then I should be able to shoot it. I don't care if I am in the city or in the country. The cat is your property and it is your responsibility to keep it under control. If cats are so free that they cannot control their need to hunt and having an indoor only cat is wrong then people should not have cats as pets. The moment it is on my property doing harm it has lost any protection afforded to it on your property.

I have a pond in my backyard and neighborhood cats come to drink and try to catch my koi. They really piss me off because one year I lost some expensive Koi to predators. Pretty sure it was a land animal because I only lost one at time. Heron or other birds will empty a pond very quickly. These days any cat in my yard gets hit with a low powered pellet gun. Won't kill them but they don't like it and don't come back.

Cat owners need to be responsible for their property an ensure that their cats aren't killing other peoples pets or native wildlife.

Rellascout

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#687398 - 04/15/05 04:29 PM (70.177.182.185)

And you think cats should be out side? How long have you had your cat? Cats don't live that long when they are outdoor cats.

They may not live as long but I think they are more consent outdoors. My cat would go nuts if I kept her inside all day. I can not account for her where-abouts, I can only assume that she is behaiving the way that she should be. If you raise your cat properly then this would not be an issue.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: rellascout]
      #687408 - 04/15/05 04:33 PM (70.177.182.185)

Your Koi are bait for all kinds of predators not just cats. Maybe you should secure their environment a little better.

rellascout
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 02/09/04
      #687446 - 04/15/05 05:06 PM (66.225.91.10)

Your Koi are bait for all kinds of predators not just cats. Maybe you should secure their environment a little better.

You are correct about predators and koi. You have to worry about racoons, Possum, Heron type birds and cats. You have to compromise between esthetic beauty and the saftey of the fish. I have only lost a few to predators. It is a concern but netting a pond really is not attractive.

Here is another thought. Maybe you should keep your cats in your house and on your property. You have no right to let them wander around the neighborhood. When you let them out they roam where ever they want. They won't allow it for dogs but cats get away with it all the time. It should not be the responsibility of the taxes payers to deal with the cat problem. It should be the owners of cats. Take some responsibilty for your pet instead of pushing it on other people or ignoring that there is problem. Get your head out of that buritto. Your loveable little tabby is a real threat to wildlife and should be keep under control. If you can't keep it under control then all bets are off.

Rellascout

junie
FUG Honcho

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: in the secret garden
      #687579 - 04/15/05 09:48 PM (64.24.170.80)

Ok, so....it's okay for you, as a PERSON, to hunt and kill animals for sport, but it's NOT okay for a cat, as an ANIMAL, to hunt and kill for survival? These ANIMALS are limiting your hunting of other ANIMALS??? Do I have that right?

tayker
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: junie]
      #687714 - 04/16/05 10:29 AM (69.174.41.196)

Quote: junie

Ok, so....it's okay for you, as a PERSON, to hunt and kill animals for sport, but it's NOT okay for a cat, as an ANIMAL, to hunt and kill for survival? These ANIMALS are limiting your hunting of other ANIMALS??? Do I have that right?

I never thought I'd see this day...anyway...

The way I took his post was that he was annoyed because the cat boned his shot.

Also, I'm not a hunter;, I don't like killing animals, but IMO there's a difference between hunting and sport. Sport is for the kill (ie the prize: head on the wall, antler points, etc) and hunting is for food. Going by what he's posted, I think he's more of a hunter...which IMO is no different than buying a steak from a store. Sport is senseless and no different then a Hannible Lecter

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#687745 - 04/16/05 12:20 PM (70.177.182.185)

Sport is senseless and no different then a Hannible Lecter

lol.....
but true..

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: rellascout]
      #687747 - 04/16/05 12:26 PM (70.177.182.185)

Quote: rellascout

Maybe you should keep your cats in your house and on your property.
Your loveable little tabby is a real threat to wildlife and should be keep under control. If you can't keep it under control then all bets are off. Rellascout

Well.... ok, you have a good point, maybe I can train her not to mess with the fish. But I really don't think my 4lb cat is a threat to wildlife.

BadDog
stranger

Reged: 04/04/05
Loc: the Lost City
      #687808 - 04/16/05 07:54 PM (24.11.135.243)

Domecticated Cats are a big was of time,PERIOD! If you keep them in the house, or on a leash, then they are good for what they were bred for...social intertainment. Out on the farms, were they usually are mousers, is only marginally OK.
They tend to roam about and nail the farmers cat down the road, and presto; Instant Free Kittens. No spaying or neutering out there in the sticks you know.
Inner city cats are nothing but lazy good for nothing sneeks. They fill their bellies on gourmet cat food and then go outside and kill baby rabbits, chipmunks, gophers, mice, rats, squirrels, moles. They very rarely eat what they kill. They fight with other cats in the middle of the night, and jump the fence to rummage your trash cans or dumpster.They sent mark your yard, fences, gates, trees, bushes, and even the cars tires. Now if all that isn't bad enough, they lay low out in my garden waiting for the song birds to come to my feeders. I have found more than enough of them mauled and left. They have ruined three sets of out-door furniture cushions with their claws, and variuos jute door mats.
In my house I have a .22 cal rifle.
It has twenty-seven notches on the stock.
The rifles name is: "KATKILLER"
When it comes to feral or roaming cats...lock and load!
Law or no law...kitty has to go!

Happy Birthday SanMan
Super FUG

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: White Oak
      #687892 - 04/17/05 07:48 AM (68.110.245.241)

Quote:

Cats don't live that long when they are outdoor cats.

Current outdoor cat is 10. He is also a people cat, and spends a lot of time with us inside (sleeps on my feet at night). The rodent population has decreased due to his skills, though he has occasionally brought something in the house, including rabits and birds.

If I forced this guy to live inside, he would be miserable. We've tried it when he was younger. Took him in as a stray and did the snip-snip. Guess it depends on what you call an "outside cat".

He loves to go outside, but spends the majority of his time inside by choice. He can use the doggie door whenever he wants.

General reply, not a reply to F_Stop...

Bottom line, anyone comes on my property and shoots my "outdoor cat" better hope I'm not home to return fire. He stays on my property and that's my deal.The only things that get shot on my property are deer that are already hit and assholes that shouldn't be there anyway. Was gonna list liberals, but they fall under "shouldn't be there anyway".

We only have 6.5 acres, and I keep tabs on what goes on. If the the coyotes passing through become a problem, I'll deal with it. If some "shit-for-brains" jerk-wad comes to my house to sell me on whatever crap they're spouting, I'll deal with that. If a feral cat decides to take up residence here, the dogs will probably deal with it before I have to and if they don't, I'll fix it and release.

/end morning rant

Happy Birthday SanMan
Super FUG

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: White Oak
Re: Cat Hunting [Re: BadDog]
      #687903 - 04/17/05 08:17 AM (68.110.245.241)

Quote:

They fill their bellies on gourmet cat food and then go outside and kill baby rabbits, chipmunks, gophers, mice, rats, squirrels, moles. They very rarely eat what they kill.

Since a lot of the natural predators are gone (coming back, though) population of the critters you mentioned has gone out of control. Sometimes not a problem, but sometimes it is. From my experience, cats do eat most of what they kill, although they may leave a tasty morsel for me to enjoy on the doorstep.

You obviously have issues with cats, unfortunately you don't really understand their value/place in the overall scheme of things.

I understand things are different in town, but once they are fixed, a lot of the annoying things cats do are no longer an issue. So how often do you discharge that .22 in town?

BadDog
stranger

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: SanMan]
      #688066 - 04/17/05 02:02 PM (24.11.135.243)

The last cat to give up the all 9 ghosts at once was in 1994. He was a big mean vicious tom cat that found his way onto our place. I tried to get him to leave the area many times. I turned out Sacha, our German Shepard on him in the night, to no avail. I called the Animal control people, and they won't help out. I called the State Police about this sorry ass cat let loose to run wild. They only laughed about it. In the end he got ONE shot to the brain at 50+ft. Dropped him were he stood. "KATKILLER" hasn't been fired since. I think area farmers and some of the homes out here know that in the past; Kitty went out,but,Kitty never came home. There seems to be alot less cats around than there used to be.
At least I am not "Old Man GRANT" down the road a few miles.
On the back side of his barn he has more than 50 various kinds of Cat and Dog heads nailed to wall. They are dried out, knarley , grisly looking things to be sure. He raises chickens and ducks. He uses a shot gun.... Sasha never ever leaves the yard and she has been spayed.
Where I live you can't get through a day without hearing a gun blast at least twice a day. I am not a hunter,and I wonder what the H--- these fools are blasting away at. I rest knowing it isn't my good girl SASHA running around. It is probably someones cat they let out in the morning.

PS; I have a metal pole barn out back where I keep my car collection and motorcycles. I control mice with traps, and poison. Sasha does a great job controlling the other varmits,which is usually a oppossum,raccoon or woodchuck.
I keep "KATKILLER" hanging in the back entry way of the house if and when needed. It is never loaded. I keep a baby food jar of bullets in a kitchen cabinet. We have a 9MM S&W auto for home protection, and both of us know how to use it. We trained with it in 1996 when we bought it on a range,and it hasn't been fired since either. So, I am not popping off spectacular hip shots on any given whim. I also understand the "Feild of Fire and Range" concept. Most don't think about where that bullet ends up if you miss your target. I do..and a bad shot can wait for the right one to come along and into sight. I believe in ONE shot=ONE kill. Not wildfire.

Edited by BadDog (04/17/05 02:29 PM)

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: BadDog]
      #688121 - 04/17/05 05:43 PM (70.177.182.185)

Quote: BadDog

Be ready for return fire.....

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#688123 - 04/17/05 05:51 PM (69.175.80.191)

So rather than keep Fluffy inside, you are going to shoot your neighbor? Makes a lot of sense. Keep your cat inside and everyone will be happy. When they want to go out put them in a harness and walk the furball. This works very well in my house.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: kimcmitch]
      #688348 - 04/18/05 09:00 AM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: kimcmitch

So rather than keep Fluffy inside, you are going to shoot your neighbor?

I didn't say I was going to shoot anybody. I said be ready for return fire.

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#688471 - 04/18/05 11:27 AM (65.213.211.198)

All you cat hunters will be socializing in hell with other people who feel nothing but hate. Haven't you heard of Karma?
We successfully keep 6 male cats inside the home and they are affectionate, they purr, and they give back to us an unconditional love that you fools will never receive. The 3-1/2 year old bought us out of depression after 9-11. And yes, indoor cats are much healthier and live longer. My 15 year old can play like a kitten when he's in the mood.
Plus, there are no mice in my home!!!! (except the toys)
I repeat, cats were responsible for killing off the plaque rats. Without the cats, you'll be overrun by deseased rodents. Seems you'd prefer that!
The Egyptians had it right. They worshipped cats.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#688474 - 04/18/05 11:33 AM (68.110.246.217)

Quote:

One a the benefeits a bein at the TOP a the food cain.

treeclimber
FUG Dignitary

Reged: 12/14/02
      #688488 - 04/18/05 12:01 PM (207.69.138.200)

I haven't read all of this....The bottom line is stray "pets" pose a danger to everyone. They aren't cared for by pet owners and something needs to be done. If there are "wild" animals disturbing the natural order of things then they are a menace. No one is suggeting I be allowed to shoot "fluffy" for crossing my lawn.

--------------------
Treat me as your queen, I serve you as my King, but treat me as your game and I'll show you how it's played.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: treeclimber]
      #688507 - 04/18/05 12:26 PM (68.110.246.217)

You got it right Tree, were just antagonizing the cat lovers in here thats all.

They're not stray pets - there is actualy a vibrant population of wild cats all over the state - in the cities and in the country, and in the national forrest - they're everywhere.

Junie doesn't quite grasp the concept of "predator control"

Thats ok, my better half doesn't either.

Cats are protected as "domesticated animals" in most areas.

So even if there's thirty of em livin in the Barn ya can't legaly kill em - (unless they're destroying property)

Wisconson toyed with the Idea of classifying FERAL cats as a nuisance invasive species (which they are)- the same way wild hogs are here. That would mean a licsensed hunter could kill them anytime.

But it didn't happen

And its not gonna happen here -

Knee jerk emotional City folk got too much influence anymore

treeclimber
FUG Dignitary

#688523 - 04/18/05 12:43 PM (207.69.138.200)

I wonder what they'd think if one of those "cute little kitty's" attacked one of their kids while playing in the back yard. I always thought cat scratch fever was just a song till I got scratched by a cat I had got thinking I'd take care of it...ot was a stray. It was a pretty nasty scratch that could have cost me my arm.....It's generally carried by strays but I didn't know it at the time.

--------------------
Treat me as your queen, I serve you as my King, but treat me as your game and I'll show you how it's played.

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#688656 - 04/18/05 03:36 PM (65.213.211.198)

I might be knee jerk emotional city folk, but I was raised with common sense and I know how use it.
The only reason we have so many "stray" domesticated dogs and cats is because the half-wits in this country cannot make the effort to spay or neuter their pets. If you can't afford to do it, DON'T GET ONE!! They are not just cute little toys for your little brats to dispose of.
Cats and dogs are domesticated animals. Shame on anyone who wants to kill them. The only acceptable way is in self defense.
My husband and I spay or neuter every cat that we've taken in or given away. Supplied many with happy, loving homes. Our return rate for pets is extremely low.
Lay off the killing thoughts and get compassion in your heart. Only then it may be returned to you later.

treeclimber
FUG Dignitary

#688685 - 04/18/05 04:15 PM (207.69.137.134)

You know you have a good heart but it's not going to help the situation at hand. What about all of the strays already out there, some of them starve to death but not before infecting other animals with diseases. These aren't pets that got lost. Even the humane society puts them to sleep, and don't go thinking it's a much nicer way to die. They tell you that just so soft hearted people won't get too upset. They need to start somewhere...while they are at it fine the hell out of anyone caught disposing of an animal in that fashion, give em jail time for all the other animals and people put at risk for the stray. The last time I checked you could take an unwanted animal to the pound...they don't charge you nor is it a criminal offense.

--------------------

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#688697 - 04/18/05 04:37 PM (68.110.246.217)

So training the coon hounds with em must be definatly out a the question huh ?

BadDog
stranger

#688746 - 04/18/05 06:29 PM (24.11.135.198)

Quote: BadDog

Be ready for return fire.....

Well, you better make that first shot count!

cassandra&sarasdaddy
FUG Dignitary

Reged: 06/27/03
Loc: hartwood
      #688963 - 04/19/05 01:10 AM (68.65.38.20)

train em? my dogs like cats naturally. just like alf did. cat in my yards gotta be fast and mighty mouse sets ambushes foe em

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: cassandra&sarasdaddy]
      #689070 - 04/19/05 08:42 AM (68.110.246.217)

There's a young one that has just taken up the "sneak accross my yard" game to the evergreen trees on the other side.

Got away with it to or three times already.

The older dog just gives a half hearted chase (if that)

Like you said - she's settin that kitty up.

It's just a matter a time.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#689073 - 04/19/05 08:50 AM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: drobert

What you do is, establish a law that simply states a property owner has the right to dispose of stray cats in any humane manner, without recourse from government or owners who failed to keep their cat at home.

I'm not a home body. I get around, I'm a cat.
I roam, I hunt, I frolic, and I love to sleep.
Do you have any birds?

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#689372 - 04/19/05 02:56 PM (65.213.211.198)

Yep, still better off going to the pound than risk injury and illness. I would like to see people thrown in jail for abandoning animals. It's just not right and it's cruel. These people should just rack up the guts and take them down to the shelter.
As far as the shelter, I know it not a good way for them to go. That is why I have never taken one down. We've been able to work with them and find homes, so far at least. And spay/neuter, top priority.
If you can get one in Fred SPCA is no kill. I give $$ to them. I've gotten my last 2 kittens from them. Best cats I ever had and money well spent.

Phewy
FUG Junior

Reged: 03/30/05
Loc: Stafford
      #689546 - 04/19/05 07:39 PM (128.190.91.6)

I guess it could always be worse !!
Sick sick people out there.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Phewy]
      #689984 - 04/20/05 11:35 AM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: Phewy

I guess it could always be worse !!
Sick sick people out there.

Probably Chinese.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: Phewy]
      #690005 - 04/20/05 12:27 PM (134.67.6.3)

When I was little there was an old man that lived two homes up from us. He had a bird that he would keep in a cage and he would sit with it out on his back deck. Our cat would hunker down near his deck in our other neighbors yard and watch and drool at the site of his finch. I think he had a .22 rifle and he said he was going to shoot our cat one day. He never did, but if he did I would have eaten his bird. Cooked him up with some jalapenos.

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#690199 - 04/20/05 03:31 PM (160.111.254.11)

The Dead Goldfish

Little Carol was in the garden filling in a hole when her neighbor peered over the fence. Interested in what the cheeky-faced youngster was doing, he asked, "What are you up to there, Carol?" My goldfish is dead," replied Carol tearfully, without looking up, "and I've just buried him." The neighbor laughed, and said condescendingly, "That's a really big hole for a Goldfish, isn't it?" Carol patted down the last heap of earth then replied, "That's because he's inside your damn cat."

--------------------

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#690203 - 04/20/05 03:35 PM (63.167.255.201)

He never did, but if he did I would have eaten his bird. Cooked him up with some jalapenos.

Depending on what type of bird it was it may or may not have tasted good with the jalapenos

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690211 - 04/20/05 03:42 PM (134.67.6.3)

He never did, but if he did I would have eaten his bird. Cooked him up with some jalapenos.

Depending on what type of bird it was it may or may not have tasted good with the jalapenos

Yea, well I hear african greys are good with cayenne.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690215 - 04/20/05 03:44 PM (134.67.6.3)

"That's because he's inside your damn cat."

Ok ok, I laughed a little, but it's not funny anymore.

junie
FUG Honcho

#690367 - 04/20/05 06:20 PM (64.24.169.133)

I live on a farm with a 2 mile driveway to my house. I saw a dog last week on my road and tried to catch him. I have seen him everyday and have been feeding a giving treats and making headway. He was getting closer and wagging his tail. Monday my husband calls me at work and tells me that someone has shot the dog in the head, put him in a trashcan and dumped him in one of our fields. It made me sick. We called the police and I have offered a $500 reward for anyone with information about this. It's just evil.

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#690409 - 04/20/05 07:29 PM (70.104.231.72)

I'm sorry to hear about this.
Some people are just sick.

junie
FUG Honcho

#690414 - 04/20/05 07:33 PM (64.24.169.133)

I will continue to search for the sick SOB that did this.

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#690416 - 04/20/05 07:34 PM (138.88.121.158)

I'm sorry to hear about this.
Some people are just sick.

Me too

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

Reged: 03/14/05
Loc: Rhoadesville
      #690680 - 04/21/05 08:44 AM (63.28.49.109)

I'm not a home body. I get around, I'm a cat.
I roam, I hunt, I frolic, and I love to sleep.
Do you have any birds? I had no idea the danger that awaited me as I sat atop the trash can sifting through the garbage that was to be my next meal. A momenjt later a loud crack pierced the air, and I fell over into the can with a hole in my head. Why didnt my owners protect me, or at least let me know the dangers of being a runabout.Dont let your animals run free and cause headaches and problems for the other folks who live in my community. I tried and tried to get these feral cats to stay out of my garbage. The Racoons learned. I guess now so have the 3 cats i put down so far this year. They never even knew what hit them. One shot to the temple and lights out. I could have let the dogs chew on them but that would have been in-humane. Bring it on Chipotle Man. Threatening another human being for your cats poor behavior, you ASSUME your cat is behaving huh.

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: OrangeCountyMan]
      #690684 - 04/21/05 08:50 AM (63.167.255.203)

Quote: OrangeCountyMan

Bring it on Chipotle Man.

Yeah, just what he says.....bring it on big boy

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690704 - 04/21/05 09:11 AM (134.67.6.3)

Sounds like you need to secure your garbage better. Check your county ordinance.
The only time I see stray cats is on property that is a mounting pile of junked cars and trash thrown everywhere. Not only would you see cats, but dogs and crows and buzzards. It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of any occupied building or across a primary highway.

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#690715 - 04/21/05 09:28 AM (65.213.211.198)

Quote:

It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of any occupied building or across a primary highway.

Sounds right to me. Maybe someone should do a citizen's arrest for this very thing.

Note: Be careful what you do "cat killers". Remember that Karma.

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690716 - 04/21/05 09:29 AM (63.28.76.18)

The only time I see stray cats is on property that is a mounting pile of junked cars and trash thrown everywhere. Not only would you see cats, but dogs and crows and buzzards. It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of any occupied building or across a primary highway. No Chipotle Man this isnt your parents front yard.No junk cars for your Pa to piddle with and the only trash strewn about is from the cats. My Trash is burned after being seperated for recyclables. My closest neighbor is far more than 200 yards away. Shooting across any road, come on man. You once again ASSUME I am some backward HillBilly with no concern for the Law or well being of those who live around me. Is that all you got for a reply Come on man.

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#690719 - 04/21/05 09:33 AM (63.167.255.203)

No Chipotle Man this isnt your parents front yard.

OMG! You mean that wasn't your parents house you took me to? So am I not good enough ...what is going on here

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690720 - 04/21/05 09:37 AM (63.28.76.18)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of any occupied building or across a primary highway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds right to me. Maybe someone should do a citizen's arrest for this very thing.

I'm waiting.

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690724 - 04/21/05 09:40 AM (63.28.76.18)

OMG! You mean that wasn't your parents house you took me to? So am I not good enough ...what is going on here See Cyns he was just after your KITTY, what a Richard!

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#690745 - 04/21/05 10:06 AM (68.110.246.217)

Quote:

Show me this ordinance please.

Otherwise I call BULLSHEET

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690748 - 04/21/05 10:10 AM (134.67.6.3)

Why didnt my owners protect me, or at least let me know the dangers of being a runabout.

Maybe you should ask yourself that question.

Threatening another human being for your cats poor behavior, you ASSUME your cat is behaving huh.

I didn't threaten anyone, I said "return fire" I didn't say I would use a firearm.

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#690759 - 04/21/05 10:18 AM (63.167.255.203)

See Cyns he was just after your KITTY, what a Richard!

And his name is RICHARD too!!! What the hell IS going on????

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690778 - 04/21/05 10:35 AM (63.28.76.18)

More mindless rambling from Chipotle Man. I dont need to ask myself any questions concerning your cat. You are right you didnt say you would shoot anyone, I guess by returning fire you mean throwing matches huh.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690790 - 04/21/05 10:45 AM (134.67.6.3)

Currently all cats are protected under state laws that prohibit cruelty to domestic animals.
Also feral cats are on the protected species list.
It is illegal to shoot any cat. That is the law.
After they arrest you, if you ask politely I'm sure they can show you that other ordinance I was talking about earlier.

As a hunter you should already know those laws.

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#690804 - 04/21/05 10:53 AM (68.110.246.217)

Whatcha talkin bout ?

Read my last post.

Says nothin about cats

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690809 - 04/21/05 10:55 AM (63.28.76.18)

Ah, but nuisance animals are not protected. So by virtue of my owning chickens, which are not penned during the day (they are free range grazers) and having cats that harass and chase them they are by definition a nuisance that endanger my livestock I have the right by Va code to protect them. Up to and including shooting the threat! If I am unable to seek out the threat and dispose of it, the county has the obligation to pay me market cost for each chicken killed. Anything else you would care for me to rebuff.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690814 - 04/21/05 10:58 AM (134.67.6.3)

My closest neighbor is far more than 200 yards away. Shooting across any road, come on man. You once again ASSUME I am some backward HillBilly with no concern for the Law or well being of those who live around me.

I asserted nothing of the sort. However if your neighbor is 200 yards away that is close enough for a bullet to travel and kill someone.

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#690826 - 04/21/05 11:06 AM (63.167.255.203)

More mindless rambling from Chipotle Man.

I hate when he does that! That's why I invest in DUCK tape

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690830 - 04/21/05 11:07 AM (134.67.6.3)

I had no idea the danger that awaited me as I sat atop the trash can sifting through the garbage that was to be my next meal. A momenjt later a loud crack pierced the air, and I fell over into the can with a hole in my head.

You think you are so comical. Doesn't sound like he was chasing your chickens around. Rebuff that one.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#690841 - 04/21/05 11:13 AM (134.67.6.3)

I hate when he does that! That's why I invest in DUCK tape

You mean DUCT?

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690937 - 04/21/05 12:40 PM (63.28.76.18)

However if your neighbor is 200 yards away that is close enough for a bullet to travel and kill someone.You think you are so comical. Doesn't sound like he was chasing your chickens around. Rebuff that one. Yeah not to comical huh, rather matter of fact I would say. A .22 caliber round can be lethal as far as 1,000 yds. How about the cat just sat down atop my trash can to have a snack after he exhausted his energy chasing my chickens. POW DEAD KITTY! Next?

OrangeCountyMan
stranger

#690950 - 04/21/05 12:52 PM (63.28.76.18)

Here is what it comes down to. These Feral animals are the direct result of irresponsible owners. They are set out on their own, and have to resort to any means neccesary for survival. They are subject to starvation, disease, and infestation of mites, ticks, fleas etc. I could capture these animals bring them to the local shelter (which by the way is already underfunded, under staffed, and over worked) for them to put them down. The real focus here shouldnt be as to whom should be allowed to exact mercy for these abandoned cats, but rather their owners being responsible for their care and protection at all times. I am a cat owner and love my cats, as well as my dogs, chickens, horses, and snakes. Look lets not make this a pissing contest. Lets focus on responsible pet ownership!

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#690994 - 04/21/05 01:48 PM (160.111.254.11)

I am glad you don't live near me.

--------------------

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#691041 - 04/21/05 02:17 PM (68.110.246.217)

Shorts are a lot quieter, but exact shot placement is critical - plus they wont even go through the barn siding.

High velocity hollow points are a bit more forgiving - just about any shot near center mass is quickly lethal.

Plus - if you can hold er steady they're good to about a hundred yards. (I don't think shorts got enough punch at that range)

Whats your'e preference ?

VAinFred
FUG Professional

#691051 - 04/21/05 02:28 PM (65.213.211.198)

You gun guys have too many issues!

just...Bite me!!

--------------------
www.kittycam.webhop.org
-- Virginia is for lovers --

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#691059 - 04/21/05 02:38 PM (63.167.255.201)

You mean DUCT?

DUCT this.....

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#691063 - 04/21/05 02:41 PM (68.110.246.217)

Va IN fRED

Honestly, I would NEVER shoot somebodies pet cat.

It wouldn't be right, and No it's pretty easy ta tell the difference.
Plus I know wich neighbors have cats - and they know not ta let em roam.

But as far as feral ones go

I don't see the difference tween a wild one and a fox or coyote.

F_Stop
FUGmaster Flash

#691072 - 04/21/05 02:59 PM (160.111.254.11)

At least none of you will kill my cat, she is a city cat that is inside all the time. You would have to enter my condo and then you would be fair game.

--------------------

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

#691077 - 04/21/05 03:05 PM (68.110.246.217)

fRED, you wanna talk about "issues"

I would say somebody that spends their spare time worryin about savin nuisance animals is the one with "isssues"

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#691104 - 04/21/05 03:41 PM (134.67.6.3)

Here is what it comes down to. These Feral animals are the direct result of irresponsible owners. They are set out on their own, and have to resort to any means neccesary for survival. They are subject to starvation, disease, and infestation of mites, ticks, fleas etc. I could capture these animals bring them to the local shelter (which by the way is already underfunded, under staffed, and over worked) for them to put them down. The real focus here shouldnt be as to whom should be allowed to exact mercy for these abandoned cats, but rather their owners being responsible for their care and protection at all times. I am a cat owner and love my cats, as well as my dogs, chickens, horses, and snakes. Look lets not make this a pissing contest. Lets focus on responsible pet ownership!

The problem with creating a law like this is that people will then shoot the neighbor's cat and somebody else's cat and so on. And then say, opps I didn't know, thought it was feral. Create a law like that and you will have problems like that, it's a given. Pretty soon they will be shooting dingos and the neighbor's dog.

mfloyd
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: On the run... Again...
      #691404 - 04/21/05 11:14 PM (148.78.247.10)

We don't have a feral cat problem out on the Ridge...It might have something to do with the coyotes back in the woods. I see one cat (neighbor's) who likes to sit outside my screened-in porch and piss off my big Tomcat by being in his "territory", and I've seen two hunting dogs with big thick collars. I don't know who the dogs belong to, but they have collars and don't cause any trouble.

I don't like to shoot pets or expensive hunting dogs...

Now, if they were regularly damaging property or frothing at the mouth that would be different.

We just have to be careful what we throw on the compost pile. I made that mistake once. The next morning my wife said "Look at all the wild turkeys outside!" I had to explain to her the difference between wild turkeys and black vultures. Nothing makes your place look more welcoming than ten vultures stretching their wings out in the sun sitting in a big oak tree!

--------------------
Every tree should have a politician hanging from it...

JLOWE
Mystical FUG Sage

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: mfloyd]
      #691581 - 04/22/05 07:56 AM (68.110.246.217)

Quote:

Look at all the wild turkeys outside!"

I'lle have ta tell ya a story sometime bout this oriental guy's first hunting trip at AP Hill

treeclimber
FUG Dignitary

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: mfloyd]
      #691601 - 04/22/05 08:16 AM (207.69.138.6)

Quote: mfloyd

We don't have a feral cat problem out on the Ridge...It might have something to do with the coyotes back in the woods. I see one cat (neighbor's) who likes to sit outside my screened-in porch and piss off my big Tomcat by being in his "territory", and I've seen two hunting dogs with big thick collars. I don't know who the dogs belong to, but they have collars and don't cause any trouble.

I don't like to shoot pets or expensive hunting dogs...

Now, if they were regularly damaging property or frothing at the mouth that would be different.

We just have to be careful what we throw on the compost pile. I made that mistake once. The next morning my wife said "Look at all the wild turkeys outside!" I had to explain to her the difference between wild turkeys and black vultures. Nothing makes your place look more welcoming than ten vultures stretching their wings out in the sun sitting in a big oak tree!

Hahahahah....I had a freezer go bad so I threw all the meat into the burn barrel and thought I had lit it when I went back outside the damned buzzards had taken up residence. You know those things fight back when you chase 'em with a broom......

cassandra&sarasdaddy
FUG Dignitary

#691763 - 04/22/05 01:14 PM (68.65.38.20)

ah i see your from the land of "it coulda happened that way"
" It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of any occupied building " leave a few words out or just make up what you want to be true. typical from a mind that believes his cat has rights to others property.what i hate is for my kid to see the dogs kill em. its not pretty but hey the cats owner was .... what word fits here.

cassandra&sarasdaddy
FUG Dignitary

#691768 - 04/22/05 01:22 PM (68.65.38.20)

your cat or my dog for that matter are fair game if they threaten livestock. and chickens etc count . i'm sorry if being a responsible pet owner is too hard for you but your not alone. i feel sorry for the cat though it can't pick its owner and must pay price accordingly.

just outa curiousity your cat male? fixed?

CynsCAG
FUGmaster Flash

#691999 - 04/22/05 05:59 PM (152.163.100.132)

As I see this, if such a law could be passed then you'd have every "cat hater" shooting at "all" cats for the hell of it, whether it be a house cat or not. Is that how you see it?

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#693199 - 04/25/05 11:02 AM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: cassandrasdaddy

your cat or my dog for that matter are fair game if they threaten livestock. and chickens etc count . i'm sorry if being a responsible pet owner is too hard for you but your not alone. i feel sorry for the cat though it can't pick its owner and must pay price accordingly.

My cat doesn't travel near livestock. I monitor my cat under a GPS signal so I know where the cat is at all times.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#693205 - 04/25/05 11:12 AM (134.67.6.3)

Quote: cassandrasdaddy

typical from a mind that believes his cat has rights to others property.

I made no assumption. You may want to check your credit history.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#733325 - 06/28/05 09:24 AM (134.67.6.24)

If the choice is between euthanasia in an animal shelter or life on the street, I'm pretty sure cats would choose life on the street. People don't realize that a cat that is outside is really a part of wildlife. Nobody is saying squirrels live terrible lives because they live outside. These cats are used to life on the streets.

They're not living the life of the pampered house cat, but … truly feral cats couldn't live in a home and thrive. It would be like taking a wild animal in your home and trying to care for him and feed him.

web page

drobert
FUG Honcho

#734051 - 06/28/05 10:55 PM (68.110.254.24)

Cats haven't been wild animals for thousands of years. They are a threat to wildlife and should be better controled to prevent their damage.
Squirrels store food for future needs and build shelters for protection from weather and predators, cats do none of that, cats are not wild life in any form.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#734053 - 06/28/05 10:59 PM (68.110.254.24)

It's no different than trapping mice, both are of little value.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#734953 - 06/30/05 08:08 AM (134.67.6.24)

The cats that reside in my neighborhood are nice rounded very well behaved and non-destructive, and most retreat back to their owner's homes by dusk. If it becomes legal to shoot and kill anyone or anything that you don't care for or find annoying, I, for one, would have about 45 people buried in my back yard by now.

drobert
FUG Honcho

#735440 - 06/30/05 05:14 PM (68.110.254.24)

They retreat after destroying any defenseless creatures they've made contact with that day. They better retreat before my trap door closes.
I don't need to shoot them, I recently acquired a nice live trap. Maybe I will find a cat lover like you and leave them on your doorstep.

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#735445 - 06/30/05 05:20 PM (24.49.52.194)

Not my cats. Sad things just got collars with bells on them. No chance for them to sneak up on anything now.

Chipotle_Man
Super FUG

#735716 - 06/30/05 11:59 PM (152.163.100.132)

And I will give them some milk and they will go do what they do...

mfloyd
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: On the run... Again...
      #735762 - 07/01/05 12:29 AM (148.78.249.10)

Milk isn't good for cats...

Plain yogurt is okay, though..

--------------------
Every tree should have a politician hanging from it...

drobert
FUG Honcho

Re: Cat Hunting [Re: kimcmitch]
      #736782 - 07/03/05 09:39 AM (68.110.254.24)

I like that plan, more people should put bells on their collars. Never really thought about that as a solution to preventing them from attacking baby game. Good thought.
More cats with bells would make many of us non-cat folks feel better about cats. Except when they crap in my yard.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 36833

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com