YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 09.02.14 | 

General Discussion >> Open forum

Pages: 1
sea2fox
FUG Sophomore

Reged: 07/03/04
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
"DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ???
      #457202 - 08/07/04 04:18 PM (205.188.116.8)

I purchased a breathalyzer to see what my friends and I could drink before we were over the Virginia .08 limit and BOY WERE WE SHOCKED! Over several weeks, under numerouus situations, with and without food, and with friends of various body weights, this is what I found:

1 drink = approximately .06
(None of us felt any effects)

2 drinks = approximately .12 to .14
(Felt that first "awww" of relaxation! Did NOT feel "drunk" at all, but we were ALL over the .08 mark!!!)

3-4 drinks = .198
(Felt like we might be "nearing" our legal limit!)

So BEWARE that the "DRUNK" driving laws should be called TWO DRINK LAWS! Be aware that a couple can't even go to dinner and split one bottle of wine and drive legally! None of us could believe these results! My son kept telling me he had had 3 beers and registered .13 and ended up with a DUI. I thought he was lying! My deepest apologies!

--------------------
No one says you lose your femininity if you grasp life by the horns and hang on for the ride!
Giddy-up!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: sea2fox]
      #457210 - 08/07/04 04:40 PM (68.70.169.199)

that's scary...

I need a chauffeur now....

Krandor
Mega FUG

Reged: 11/17/02
Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: ]
      #457217 - 08/07/04 04:57 PM (68.65.50.185)

Yep - time to get a DD. I normall through 2-3 would not be a big problem. Very interesting results you found there.

linyforever
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 05/26/03
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: Krandor]
      #457221 - 08/07/04 05:02 PM (68.110.242.210)

Don't remember exactly when LM became my DD - but it is so much better than worrying. And he's great about it, too!

--------------------
Its not having what you want
Its wanting what you've got

Krandor
Mega FUG

Reged: 11/17/02
Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: linyforever]
      #457225 - 08/07/04 05:12 PM (68.65.50.185)

Quote: linyforever

Don't remember exactly when LM became my DD - but it is so much better than worrying. And he's great about it, too!

Maybe I need to talk to him after my foot gets better.

oisin
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 07/24/02
Loc: Fredericksburg
      #457234 - 08/07/04 05:32 PM (67.208.12.49)

Something to think about ~ You do not need to blow .08 to be arested for DUI. If the officer feels that your driving is impaired from drink, and you blow anything under .08 you still have a very good chance of losing your licence. It will depend on his presentation to the court.

yes, best beware.

Heidelberg
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 06/14/02
Loc: Fredericksburg
      #457265 - 08/07/04 06:21 PM (68.65.38.62)

My rule for years has been:
When I have car keys I drink 0 acohol...nadda...nichts..keinen Tropfen...
If I do drink something I have a DD or take a cab..(love those free cabs after Pub crawls!) even if I only had a couple.

--------------------
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin

SwampThing
Super FUG

Reged: 11/12/03
Loc: The Bayou
      #457383 - 08/07/04 11:04 PM (68.110.240.94)

Just curious, are you sure you used the breathalyzer correctly? A friend of mine bought a breathalyzer, and we have done similar experiments, but had much different results. For the one he bought, the instructions were very clear that you had to wait 20 minutes after drinking before blowing into it, in order to get accurate results. That's because the alcohol still in your mouth if you use it immediately will skew the results so it doesn't reflect your actual Blood Alcohol Content.

I don't remember now the exact amount we had to drink to get over the legal limit, but it was definitely more than 1-2 drinks. I think I'll try it again the next time I'm at his place and post the results for comparison.

That said, I'm not suggesting drinking and driving, regardless. I've considered getting a breathalyzer myself just so I can test myself if I'm not sure. It can be very difficult to judge your level of impairment if you are impaired.

--------------------
I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice.

SkiBumMSP
FUG Addict

Reged: 09/10/02
Loc: Spotsylvania
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: SwampThing]
      #457421 - 08/08/04 12:31 AM (68.65.43.197)

Quote:

Just curious, are you sure you used the breathalyzer correctly? A friend of mine bought a breathalyzer, and we have done similar experiments, but had much different results. For the one he bought, the instructions were very clear that you had to wait 20 minutes after drinking before blowing into it, in order to get accurate results. That's because the alcohol still in your mouth if you use it immediately will skew the results so it doesn't reflect your actual Blood Alcohol Content.

I am curious also! I find it hard to believe that just after one drink, you'd get a .06 on the breathalyzer.

About 2 years ago, a bunch of us on the ski patrol, after closing the mountain one friday night at Massanutten, we decided to go share a couple pitchers of beer at "Lift 7", which is what we often call the bar there at the mountain. We shared three pitchers of beer between the four of us, and I know I've drank quite a few myself. I spent a good hour after done drinking and just watching the band. Against better judgement, I decided to drive back to the patrol barracks afterwards, which are a couple of miles away from the ski hill (why, oh why, could they not have gotten something closer to the friggan hill?).

Well, anyway, no sooner did I pull into the parking lot when a pair of blue lights came up behind me! . The cop said he clocked me doing 50 in the 40 (must've been that one hill, even standing on the brakes, it's tough to keep from going over the speeding limit). He then popped that question - "Have you been drinking tonight?" I could not lie to the guy and admitted sharing a couple of pitchers of beer there at the lounge in the ski lodge (BTW, they got awesome wings there). Needless to say, I was just about $#!+ting razor blades at that point.

He went through a couple of sobriety tests, and I must've passed with flying colors! He actually told me, "Those couple of beers must've not effected you much or at all!". He then popped out the breathalayzer, and made me blow into it. I blew a .014 - geez, you'd get that just swigging some cough medicine! I knew I drank more than two beers that night. I probably had a good 5 or 6 that night. I will admit it did probably help to stick around and just watch the band. The cop basically left me off with a verbal warning. He basically said, "For the 50 in the 40, I'll let you go and remind you to be careful next time. As for the drinking part, we just wanted to make sure you were not drinking too much to be out driving!". And with that, they left! I pretty much stood ther, looked skyward with my hands together and said "Thank you Good Lord Above!".

Still, this is interesting. At the very least, if you do drink a couple, then it would behoove you to stop at least a good 1/2 hour or more before leaving. I do from now on. As most of you probaly know, I am not much into drinking, but I do like to indulge a few cold ones now and again. However, I try to make it a point to stop a good hour before having to leave.

--------------------
"It truly makes the most beautiful music
Everything it has to give
It's everyhere hiding the listener
Without it, I could not live
...Silence" - Sonata Arctica

wvacountrygirl
FUG Graduate

Reged: 08/16/03
Loc: woodford virginia
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: SkiBumMSP]
      #457445 - 08/08/04 01:22 AM (67.208.12.50)

where do you find the breathalyzer thingy at? i dont drink but hubby does.

--------------------
" Love,Peace, and of course Happiness! "

nasmill2
FUG Professional

Reged: 02/13/03
Loc: Spotsylvania, Va
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: SkiBumMSP]
      #457456 - 08/08/04 03:18 AM (67.200.135.190)

The funny thing here is no one is considering the other driver just themselves and "how they feel".
If you want the scientific way alcohol effects your system, look it up. It is very hard to explain but I will try. The last systems in your body to develope are the first to be effected by alcohol. In other words you motor skills, your speech, and your vision. The last are your vital functions. Your heart beat, breathing ect. So as you drink you may "feel" fine but you periferal vision is already affected and you may not even realise it is. Your balance and other basic functions go. The best bet if you are going to drink to excess is to drink at home and anyone you are with can stay there. Always ere on the side of caution and have a good time at home with the people you enjoy having over. If you have any other questions on the physical effects of alcohol let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

Gryphon
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 08/05/03
Loc: on the edge
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: wvacountrygirl]
      #457692 - 08/08/04 03:51 PM (162.83.105.237)

Quote: wvacountrygirl

where do you find the breathalyzer thingy at? i dont drink but hubby does.

I know Sharper Image sells them. Not sure about anyplace else. We tried those Angel Strips that they sell at the 7-11 one time. We sat around and drank ourselves senseless, and they still didn't register any of us higher than a .04. Whatever you do, don't rely on those things to test your impairment level.

--------------------
/witty

kate_said
FUG Professional

Reged: 11/30/03
Loc: spotsy but i don't like to adm...
Re: "DRUNK" (2 DRINKS) DRIVING ??? [Re: Gryphon]
      #458564 - 08/09/04 01:27 PM (68.66.25.23)

A good friend of mine was pulled over for having a LICENSE PLATE light out. He'd had two beers and blew a .09. Lost his license for a year and landed a few days in jail. They also suspended the registration on his car for a year, so nobody ELSE can drive it, including the person that puts high miles on their car driving them to work (that'd be me).

--------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you. [image]http://www.baneverything.org/pictures/rally.gif[/image]

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 651

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com