YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 08.28.14 | 

Communities >> King George

Pages: 1
VABound
FUG Freshman

Reged: 09/30/10
Hopyard Farm opinions?
      #1603948 - 09/30/10 01:55 PM (64.88.172.228)

We are planning to move to King George and are looking into Hopyard Farm. We've looked around and keep coming back there since our current neighborhood out of state is a swim/tennis. I actually like HOAs and the amenities which we can't seem to find anywhere else in KG or south Stafford. I see a few posts from 2008 about it, and it seemed to have favorable reviews then. What's your opinion now? From what I gather they are still being able to move forward with the section building, and it doesn't look like a dead subdivision despite the current market.

Other questions...

Is FIOS pre-wired to the house? What internet options exist at other subdivisions in the area?

What are your thoughts on the "no fence" rule? We're thinking of an invisible fence for our dogs.

Are there active community events, gatherings? What are the rules on use of the club house for family events?

I am a cyclist. Is it possible to ride out from Hopyard and get to some back roads for a few hour ride?

We're heading up there this weekend and will probably put a contract on a to-be-built home so your thoughts are much appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DogResqer
Super FUG

Reged: 07/21/08
Loc: I dunno
Re: Hopyard Farm opinions? [Re: VABound]
      #1603953 - 09/30/10 02:27 PM (198.91.70.120)

Hi, VABound, and welcome to FT!

Let me start off by saying that although I live in King George County, I don't live in or know anything about Hopyard. However, I would like to respond to a couple of your questions.

Regarding using electric fencing for your dogs, please reconsider! Our rescue has recently decided to not adopt to any family that plans to use electric fencing to contain the dog because of these issues.

There is plenty of back roads to bike on in the area of Hopyard, although some of them are fairly well-traveled.

--------------------
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. Pee on it and walk away.

VABound
FUG Freshman

Re: Hopyard Farm opinions? [Re: DogResqer]
      #1603955 - 09/30/10 02:30 PM (64.88.172.228)

Thanks for that. Our dogs are indoor dogs, and we don't really want to go the invisible fence path either. I'd love a privacy fence but not the approved split-rail option. Without a fence perhaps we could go with some sort of run for letting them out, or take the time to enjoy a walk with them.

TPKeller
FUG Professional

Reged: 06/26/04
Loc: Fredericksburg
      #1603957 - 09/30/10 02:48 PM (155.104.37.18)

Quote:

Regarding using electric fencing for your dogs, please reconsider! Our rescue has recently decided to not adopt to any family that plans to use electric fencing to contain the dog because of these issues.

So if the HOA prohibits physical fences, you would rather the dogs run loose about the neighborhood and possibly get killed by a car?

And rather than provide a dog with a loving home that chooses to use an electric fence, you would prefer they stay in a shelter, and perhaps eventually be euthanized instead? And all this because the electric fence might malfunction?

Sounds like some people need a lesson in "big picture".

I'm just saying.

Hawkrider
Super FUG

Reged: 03/05/08
Loc: location, location....
Re: Hopyard Farm opinions? [Re: TPKeller]
      #1603959 - 09/30/10 03:03 PM (74.214.42.190)

Believe me, TP, if there is anyone that desires for animals to have loving homes, it is DogResqer. She selflessly gives of her time, money, and talents to help these animals find good homes.

She does not and has never advocated for dogs running loose. Her feelings about this have been expressed in past threads.

You are unfair to jump to those conclusions when all she said was she is not in favor of electric fencing.

DogResqer
Super FUG

Reged: 07/21/08
Loc: I dunno
Re: Hopyard Farm opinions? [Re: Hawkrider]
      #1603965 - 09/30/10 03:26 PM (198.91.70.120)

If a subdivision doesn't allow fences, there are things called "leashes" that you can clip to your dog and take him/her out for a safe walk around the neighborhood. It's really nice, because not only does the dog get exercise but you do, too! Plus you have a chance to meet and greet your neighbors and get caught up on the latest news and gossip. Just be sure to carry some clean-up bags with you for your pooch's poop.

Please. It's not just the possibility of malfunctioning. Studies have also shown that these fences can make sweet, loving dogs mean. Also, they don't contain all breeds. I have a hound that will go through fire to chase prey and/or follow his nose! And, if they do go through, they are reluctant to go back into the yard because they know they'll get zapped again.

I don't want to see any animal in pain for any reason. I use positive reinforcement for training and avoid punishment, as to me it is needless and a step backward. I have heard so many horror stories about dogs and these fences. Some of them tell me that their dog refused to go out into the yard after about a month with the fence! Dogs aren't stupid.

--------------------
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. Pee on it and walk away.

VABound
FUG Freshman

#1603968 - 09/30/10 03:54 PM (64.88.172.228)

Ok, enough about the fences and dog treatment. thanks for your opinions.

What I want to know about is Hopyard, and preferably from current residents there.

VAMommy
FUG Freshman

Reged: 02/15/08
      #1604243 - 10/01/10 09:05 PM (70.109.56.53)

As a Hopyard resident, I'll answer your questions as best I can...

1. FiOS - we built a Ryan Home and it was completed in 2008 and we did have the house pre-wired but FiOS is NOT available in the community yet. Verizon is working this but they still cannot give us an estimatation of availability.

2. No Fence Rule: we HATE it! We would like the privacy fence also...we have young children and a dog so we would like to "contain" our pack. I also hate the split rail. We have a brick home so putting a "country looking" fence takes away from the house, IMO. I know that just about every resident HATES the fence policy, unfortunately, the rules are created & governed by the HOA. They will not turn to HOA over to the residents until at least 75% of the ENTIRE community is occupied.

3. Active events: yes! We have neighborhood BBQs (live band, kegs, and everyone brings a dish), family game nights at the clubhouse, community yard sales, Holiday events for the kids (egg hunting, Santa visits, etc.). As for the club house, with the amount of money we pay for HOA fees, you would think we can use the club house for free, but we don't. We don't even get a reduced rate!! That is insane but it is what it is. We've never rented it but there have been quite a few weddings hosted there. I think the rate was $150/hour. Crazy, right? You can go in there (for free) to watch the big screen or play pool.

4. Bike riding: ummmm, the only real place to "safely" cycle would be on Route 3. Coming out of the community, if you turned right onto Port Conway Rd - you could ride that road (which will lead you to Rt 301) - but it is very dangerous...blind curves, no shoulder, speeding cars, etc. Just not a safe road to be one in a car, let alone a bike. So you're only option would be to ride Rt 3 either.

What else....the club house has a gym. It's rather small but since the community is still quite small, it's rarely used. I've never had to wait for a piece of equipment. The pool is wonderful. Again, since there aren't many families here yet, the pool is never full. It's open Memorial Weekend - Labor Day. Trash & snow removal is covered by HOA. We have a "leash law" and MOST people stick to it. I think there is one dog (chocolate lab) that is the guilty one...everyone else abides by the rules. The neighborhood is very quiet and very friendly. Everyone waves as you come & go...which took some getting used to for me (I'm a city girl!).

Oh - there is a community paper that is printed over other month, I believe. It's a lot of good-to-know things.

I don't know if you're familiar with King George but there isn't much here. Granted, I've gotten used to it but I've been here almost 3 years. They are building a new WalMart near Dahlgren (about 15 min away) but there is also another WalMart in Ferry Farm. They are both 15 minutes from Hopyard so it wouldn't matter which one you chose to use. Restaurant choices are at a minimum. There's pizza, pizza, and...yup, more pizza. Seriously though, we have Subway, Taco Bell, KFC, McD's, Burger King, chinese takeout, Crabby Oyster, Pancho Villa, a new pasta place and some other spots here and there.

Good luck with your purchase!! IM me if you have any other questions!

dayzdaze
stranger

Reged: 05/24/06
Loc: King George
Electric Fences [Re: VABound]
      #1604480 - 10/04/10 01:31 AM (71.161.44.89)

Thanks for the link about electric fences and dogs. I really hadn't heard much about this issue before.

I think, though, if a prospective adopter were to use an old, farm-style electric fence (like those used to corral cows and horses), that should be OK with your rescue. Dogs would learn to avoid the fence, and only the part of them that touched the fence would get shocked.

The shock collars used in typical "dog fences," though, seem to be bad news. Did anyone read the Carl Hiasson book "Stormy Weather"? The Florida-governor-turned-environmentalist warrior uses one of those collars on a person!

dayzdaze
stranger

Reged: 05/24/06
Loc: King George
Replying to my post... [Re: dayzdaze]
      #1604481 - 10/04/10 01:34 AM (71.161.44.89)

I'm not sure how my fence post (get it, fence post? LOL) wound up in the Hopyard Farm thread. Sorry about that.

Re Hopyard Farm
The houses in Hopyard are so close together, I can understand the fence ban. There simply isn't room in between the crammed-in homes!

cuman
FUG Freshman

Reged: 10/14/10
      #1606356 - 10/14/10 11:32 AM (208.253.122.130)

We have 2 small dogs and the split rail fence with the mesh stapled to it works great.

whodini
FUG Freshman

Reged: 01/03/05
      #1606515 - 10/15/10 11:29 AM (70.109.56.86)

Hope you made it to Hopyard. It is a pretty decent community. People have maintained homes. It is a little depressing though that so many have been foreclosed on and sold for MUCH less than the original sale price. I have been here since it became available and was one of the first homes sold. Have seen the changes in the neighborhood and now that there is construction for phase II starting I see progress again.

Is FIOS pre-wired to the house? What internet options exist at other subdivisions in the area? FIOS is the only thing you can get in Hopyard. There is no copper anywhere. You can get FIOS phone, FIOS Internet, but no TV. Options are the satellite dish providers (DirecTV or ?). Be careful if you take the Verizon bundle they offer with directv as it is more expensive than if you take the FIOS bundle without TV and pay for your directv separate.

What are your thoughts on the "no fence" rule? We're thinking of an invisible fence for our dogs. That is a silly rule considering all other subdivisions by this builder has various types of fencing. Also I know we consistently question why the builder can use the pretty fence along route 3 but we cannot and are resigned to use a fence that houses livestock....There has been a resident or two that seems to have been able to fight this but cannot tell you what they did to bypass that ugly fence. Many people walk their dogs and as the other resident said, hopefully pick up after them. However I do see street droppings quite often.

Are there active community events, gatherings? What are the rules on use of the club house for family events? Yes and the previous post spelled them out. There are community events and many times residents have block parties as well. Food, music to be enjoyed by all. As mentioned the club house is quite expensive, especially since we pay for it in the HOA dues, but I know many HOAs have similar rules.

I am a cyclist. Is it possible to ride out from Hopyard and get to some back roads for a few hour ride? :NO There is nowhere safe to ride. As a cyclist though you have an excellent option of going down to the Richmond Raceway and riding the banked track there. We use it for cycling, inline skating, etc. Not too far, takes me 40 minutes but is worth it. Only other option is to put your bike on the car and take it to the trails..http://www.friendsdrht.org/.

Klaatu_Fell
FUG Freshman

Reged: 05/30/08
Re: Bicycling from Hopyard Farm [Re: VABound]
      #1607362 - 10/22/10 02:44 PM (192.91.173.36)

In answer to your question about bicycling...the answer is, Yes! The road that hopyard is on is just fine for bicycling. It does have truck traffic but they are courteous to bicyclists for the most part. At Dogue take a right and ride down the hill to a very quiet road with a vineyard owned by the former governor. Continue to 301 and cross it and follow back roads all the way to Colonial Beach and the rest of the Northern Neck. I ride to work in Dahlgren almost every day. As experience and knowledge grows, fear subsides. Don't let the cage jockeys frighten you.

WormanEstates
FUG Freshman

Reged: 12/25/09
Loc: King George, VA
Community Newsletter [Re: whodini]
      #1613023 - 11/23/10 05:44 AM (71.161.58.230)

Would you by chance have the phone number of whoever publishes the community newsletter? I would like to possibly advertise.

--------------------
"My wife thinks I'm Nosey...........At least that's what it says in her Diary"

miglesias
FUG Freshman

Reged: 08/15/13
Re: Hopyard Farm opinions? [Re: VAMommy]
      #1714624 - 08/15/13 09:14 PM (24.153.38.114)

Greetings,

Any update in the FIOS? No Fence Rule and the Community Activities? Still charging to use the club house?

Thanks in advance

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8935

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com