YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 10.20.14 | 

Sports & Outdoors >> Gardening

Pages: 1
dogfostermom
FUG Junior

Reged: 07/30/06
House Flies on Mums
      #1015812 - 10/18/06 04:59 PM (68.110.253.39)

Ok, I'm new to growing stuff. I'm amazed any time one of my plants thrives. I have been elated to see my purple mums come into bloom this year. They are HUGE and covered with purple blooms. They are also covered with house flies! To the point where I have to wait to open my front door until they stop swarming because I walked by and disturbed them. I've never seen anything like it.

What is out there that I can use on the mums to get rid of the flies but not kill these beautiful blooms??

Do others have this problem or is it just me?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RichOnTheRoad
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 06/08/02
Loc: on the road
Re: House Flies on Mums [Re: dogfostermom]
      #1015831 - 10/18/06 06:29 PM (70.187.217.180)

Seems it's not the plants themselves but what they're planted in that's causing the problem:

Fungus gnats and shore flies are primarily nuisance pests on pot mums. These pests live as larvae in the pot root medium. As larvae mature to adults, the adults fly around plants. This is highly undesirable for retailers and consumers alike. The preferred foods of these pest's larvae are fungi, decaying organic matter and algae—all of which can be found in root media or on floors under benches. They will also feed on young plant roots, stunting plant growth. The feeding process can also help to spread root rot. Adults are readily trapped on sticky cards placed near the root medium surface. A new technique for monitoring larvae populations is to place small disks or wedges of potatoes atop the root medium. After 72 hours, lift up the potato pieces to see larval activity. Since this pest resides within the root medium, pesticide drenches are the preferred application method.
http://www.yoder.com/grower/pot/insect/pest_control.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4920

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com