Fredericksburg.com: Single Column

Consumer >> Pets

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
fryed_1
Mega FUG

Reged: 06/25/03
Loc: Jerkinoff, ME
Cats need to go
      #937270 - 05/03/06 11:41 PM (162.83.87.153)

baby isn't doing good at all with the cats, so they have to go, and now.

I hate to do it cause they're good cats, and one just having kittens 2 weeks ago, but have to take priorities. I don't have pics, but one is whatever you call the calico colors, but not patches, just like someone tossed a few different color paint brushes and sprayed her with it.

Other one is black with white chest and chin.

7 kittens just starting to open their eyes... most black and white, 2 all black... all around 2wks old. If they're not gone by friday they're going to a rescue on sat.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
artharitis
Super FUG

Reged: 11/07/04
Loc: The Burg
Re: Cats need to go [Re: fryed_1]
      #937291 - 05/04/06 12:36 AM (72.192.248.14)

are u gonna keep the mom till the kittens are done nursing or?..? i wanted a kitten but they are way too young..?

--------------------
If your souls priceless,
its cause no one wants to buy it

fryed_1
Mega FUG

Re: Cats need to go [Re: artharitis]
      #937300 - 05/04/06 01:29 AM (162.83.87.153)

we'd like to, but we can't do it. Taylor has already seen a couple of scratches from the cats, both of them, and the house is too small to try to keep the cats cooped up in a different room 24/7.

You are welcome to take on the mom and kittens if you can, they are fairly easy going, and we already had 4 of the 7 kittens pretty much gone soon as they are old enough and I'm sure the others would go pretty quickly. Kittens are just opening their eyes and barely walking still, so they'd be pretty easy to handle for another 3-4wks probably. Maybe a week or two of weening and they'd be ready to go in 4-5wks.

--------------------
http://santasm.net

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 01/20/05
Loc: this side of the mountain
      #937305 - 05/04/06 05:52 AM (71.254.22.111)

I wish I could take them. My cats just are not fond of sharing their yard so they would run them off.

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

Reged: 10/25/03
Re: Cats need to go [Re: kimcmitch]
      #937363 - 05/04/06 08:03 AM (71.240.238.43)

Why not buy claw covers instead of giving away the cats? They are little plastic sheaths that just go over the nails and don't hurt the cat. And they cost just a few dollars for a big pack of them.

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cats need to go [Re: Hurdleguru]
      #937432 - 05/04/06 09:30 AM (71.254.22.111)

Because the damn cats are scratching his newborn. I'm impressed that he didn't drown the damn things.

fryed_1
Mega FUG

#937453 - 05/04/06 09:46 AM (162.83.89.113)

Because the cats obviously have a problem with the baby. They sit in the corner and hiss. It wouldn't be an ideal situation to have pissed off cats around a baby 24/7 regardless of if they're declawed/detoothed and everything.

--------------------

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 07/16/02
Loc: on the brink
      #937455 - 05/04/06 09:47 AM (208.20.220.72)

I'm sure they all got together before the baby came home and intentionally decided to harm the child.

--------------------
"They laughed because she was different. She laughed because they were all the same." -unknown

cassandra&sarasdaddy
FUG Dignitary

Reged: 06/27/03
Loc: hartwood
Re: Cats need to go [Re: MsH]
      #937461 - 05/04/06 09:54 AM (69.174.122.26)

hissss! pfffft!

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#937462 - 05/04/06 09:54 AM (71.254.22.111)

Or they got pissed when their favorite places to sleep, the crib, carseat, changing table, went into use and now they can't be there. He isn't kidding when he says there isn't space to fence them off.

Fryed, you could move the mom and kittens to the basement. I know it's small but once they get big enough they could just be outside cats.

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

#937467 - 05/04/06 10:02 AM (71.240.238.43)

Or shut the door to the room that the baby is in. It would keep it clean (no cat hair) and protect the baby.

It's the same thing about dogs not liking new babies. They probably are getting no attention now and don't understand why they are being neglected. Extra treats and some attention can go a long way.

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

#937470 - 05/04/06 10:04 AM (208.20.220.72)

more than likely the cats are jealous of the baby. maybe they're feeling ignored. I know your priorities are with the baby right now, but maybe a little reassurance towards the cats that they're still loved would go a long way. Make an effort to still pet them....have Ang do the same. They're probably feeling replaced, which appears to be exactly what's happened.

--------------------
"They laughed because she was different. She laughed because they were all the same." -unknown

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#937476 - 05/04/06 10:07 AM (71.254.22.111)

Yeah, lock the baby in a room so the cats can run the house.

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

#937488 - 05/04/06 10:15 AM (71.240.238.43)

The baby isn't going anywhere anyway when it's in it's crib and they sleep most of the time anyway. Most people I know close the baby's room and have baby monitors to keep out their animals and other children. It also keeps the room a lot cleaner. If you are carrying the baby around I doubt the cats will bother it. Shut the cats in the basement when the baby is up and out. By the time the baby is really old enough to do anything, the kittens will be old enough to be adopted and can go to their new homes.

ForeignerAtHome
Mega FUG

Reged: 08/01/04
Loc: Charleston, SC
      #937493 - 05/04/06 10:19 AM (169.252.4.21)

Cats suck.

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cats need to go [Re: ForeignerAtHome]
      #937497 - 05/04/06 10:21 AM (208.20.220.72)

but not as often as people from SC

--------------------

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#937500 - 05/04/06 10:25 AM (71.254.22.111)

I guess I find it funny that someone who hasn't visited his home is going to suggest something that he said isn't possible "the house is too small to try to keep the cats cooped up in a different room 24/7". His house really is that small. I only suggested the basement as an interim measure. There is no access to the basement from inside the house so it isn't an ideal place to put them. If I could I would help him out. We love little kittens. I just don't have a place for them since I will not have cats inside the house.

fryed_1
Mega FUG

#937502 - 05/04/06 10:28 AM (162.83.89.113)

basement isn't really an option. It's mostly a small storage room with a laundry room. But the only access to it is from outside around back of the house. I'm not going to keep them cooped up in there and unhappy. They are all young and should have no problems getting adopted and I would definately take them to a no-kill place.

None are really "outside" cats though either. They are pampered indoor cats, and we have quite a few wild animals out here I'm sure they wouldn't survive.

We don't really want to get rid of the cats, but we have to. We would do the same with the dogs if they had problems with Taylor. We have to set our priorities and the baby definately comes first. I have little enough free time as it is with work, new baby, 3 dogs and everything else without having to go through kitty psychology a couple times a day as well.

--------------------

DevilsAdvocate
Mystical FUG Sage

Reged: 02/03/04
      #937510 - 05/04/06 10:44 AM (69.174.60.163)

Aren't disposable pets wonderful. Just flush em when you fail to realize that when you take them in, they require care for life. A little responsible planning might have helped in this matter.

--------------------
I'll believe politicians are people when Texas executes one.

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

#937511 - 05/04/06 10:45 AM (71.240.238.43)

That's why I said shut the baby's room. From my experience around newborns they spend almost all their time in the crib the first couple months anyway, are nursed and changed in that room also. Maybe that families I know are just special but that's how I've seen it done. Getting a baby monitor and shutting the baby in the room for 6 weeks till the kittens are old enough to be adopted isn't that bad of a situation. People have new babies and keep their pets all the time.

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

#937517 - 05/04/06 10:55 AM (71.254.22.111)

Everyone you know is special. I always kept the babies with me. I had a moses basket in the living/family room so the baby would nap downstairs. At night they slept in my room in a cradle for part of the night and in my bed the other half. I rarely used a crib until the baby was 3-4 months old, even with my first. And I've never used a monitor. In all the places we've lived and with all 5 of my kids, I never found a monitor necessary.

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

#937518 - 05/04/06 10:56 AM (208.20.220.69)

so lemme make sure I have this straight....

you're getting rid of the cats, but you have pit bulls in the house w/ a newborn?

--------------------

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

#937520 - 05/04/06 10:59 AM (208.20.220.69)

here's an idea....why not just be an observant parent and if the cats get too close to the baby, shoo them away? You could keep the baby with you in the bedroom and close the door when you're sleeping, locking the kitties out.

--------------------

ForeignerAtHome
Mega FUG

#937521 - 05/04/06 11:01 AM (169.252.4.21)

Quote: MsH

but not as often as people from SC

Man, I only wish this was true.

ForeignerAtHome
Mega FUG

#937524 - 05/04/06 11:03 AM (169.252.4.21)

Pitbulls suck too.

fryed_1
Mega FUG

#937543 - 05/04/06 11:20 AM (162.83.89.113)

so lemme make sure I have this straight....

you're getting rid of the cats, but you have pit bulls in the house w/ a newborn?

oh please... don't get on that rap again. My dogs have yet to scratch Taylor. Sasha, in fact, woke us up early this morning when Taylor was crying in her crib. I also have a hound dog, but no one seems to harp on that fact...

Quote: DevilsAdvocate

Aren't disposable pets wonderful. Just flush em when you fail to realize that when you take them in, they require care for life. A little responsible planning might have helped in this matter.

oh [censored] off... I've always had pets and I've always treated them well. If you read a little more into my posts you would have seen we like the cats. But I'm not taking a chance on the them hurting my child. If the dogs showed aggression towards her they would be out the door just the same. Sorry but if comes to a child or an animal, the animal is going to go.

And responsible planning? What should we have done eh? The cats were perfectly loving with us. They only turned slightly aggressive when the baby was born. How were we to know they would react like this? Should I have kept a cool $500,000 in the bank to buy a larger house just in case the cats didn't get along?

Quote: Hurdleguru

That's why I said shut the baby's room. From my experience around newborns they spend almost all their time in the crib the first couple months anyway, are nursed and changed in that room also. Maybe that families I know are just special but that's how I've seen it done. Getting a baby monitor and shutting the baby in the room for 6 weeks till the kittens are old enough to be adopted isn't that bad of a situation. People have new babies and keep their pets all the time.

Babies need social interaction at young ages the same as pets do. ESPECIALLY with dogs in the house, we don't leave her in a room alone. Not that I don't trust my dogs, I do, but I'm not taking that chance. It's not fair to the baby to lock her in a room alone only to walk in to feed/change/burp her for the first 2 months of her life, just like it isn't fair to lock the cats in a basement for the remainder of their lives.

I would rather the cats get adopted by someone who can let them roam free in their house without any worries than them live a life sheltered in a dark basement and only get occasional visits to feed/change litter box (just as you suggested we do with an infant)

Honestly I'm surprised almost all of you are going off on this. I know you love your animals, and I love mine too. But when it comes to my kid getting hurt as she has been, I'm surprised anyone even brings the issue up. There should be no question about it actually. I'm not talking about dropping the cats off at the local chinese place or dumping them in a pond. If no one wants them we are taking them to a rescue organization so they will be adopted out and not put to sleep... What the hell else am I supposed to do here???

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

#937567 - 05/04/06 11:36 AM (208.20.220.69)

Quote: fryed_1

oh please... don't get on that rap again. My dogs have yet to scratch Taylor. Sasha, in fact, woke us up early this morning when Taylor was crying in her crib. I also have a hound dog, but no one seems to harp on that fact...

I didn't know you had a hound dog, too, or I would have given you grief about that, too. It scares me when families have ANY dog in their house that is larger than the smallest child.

Remind me, if you're ever at my place, to show you the pictures of my face when I was a kid. Our family dog was friendly too. Looked after me, loved me, and all that jazz. Then I became a toddler and started pulling the dog's tail, giving it grief, etc. Dogs have bad days, too. One day, he'd just had enough.

Remind me to show you the damage OUR FAMILY DOG, a mere mutt, did to my face when he finally reached his breaking point.

Even AFTER several reconstructive surgeries I still have permanent scarring and nerve damage in my face. Hell, for that matter, just ask me the next time I see you to show you my scars. 30 years later I still have scars that show where he RIPPED MY FACE OPEN. Top teeth on my left temple, bottom teeth on the right side of my mouth.

One bite. One moment. One doggy mood swing and I was never the same. It started and was over in less than 5 seconds. Kept me out of modeling...messed up my vision, made parts of my face numb....

How people are even willing to take that risk with their child scares the [censored] out of me.

--------------------

DevilsAdvocate
Mystical FUG Sage

Reged: 02/03/04
      #937569 - 05/04/06 11:37 AM (69.174.60.163)

Oh [censored] off yourself. You have piss poor planning skills. You were the one that bought the small house, had the quantity of dogs, either brought in the cats and didn't fix them, or decided to just let them procreate, knowing that you were expecting a little bundle of joy yourself. (I may not have the details right, but I believe they are close, if not, I will amend and retract the errors). While you are at it, go out and eat some doggie sausages.

Quote: fryed_1

And responsible planning? What should we have done eh?

To start, spaying and neutering comes to mind. Shall I give you more examples?

I am not saying that you "don't like cats", I am saying that you fit the mold of an irresponsible pet owner. You knew the situation that you were getting yourself into, and once you got into the situation, you now must dispose of the problem. Good luck with finding them a new home.

fryed_1
Mega FUG

Re: Cats need to go [Re: DevilsAdvocate]
      #937579 - 05/04/06 11:44 AM (162.83.89.113)

the cats were young and strays that we took in when we lived downtown. They were starving and hungry and we took them in. Unfortunately one got preggo before we could get her fixed, it happens. Cats get out sometimes... I suppose I could've installed airlocks in the house to prevent it, but you know what they say about hindsight.

The other cat is spayed. We were planning to get the momma cat spayed once the kittens were done nursing.

Quote:

You have piss poor planning skills. You were the one that bought the small house, had the quantity of dogs,

We found an excellent deal on a house we like, albeit small, but with a decent amount of land for the dogs to run. We don't need a cookie-cutter 5br 2-1/2ba house to show off with. We're quite comfortable where we are and doing just fine until the cat situation.

--------------------

Hurdleguru
Super FUG

#937580 - 05/04/06 11:45 AM (71.240.238.43)

Spend 5 minutes with your cats so they know you still want them.

As you said they are pampered animals who are probably used to getting love and now you don't give it to them. A $1 bag of treats from Petsmart or FoodLion and 5 minutes of attention could probably go a long way to make them not jealous of the baby.

And for the first month babies are only alert 2 1/2 hours out of a day. Until the 3rd month they don't even recognize their own hands and feet. Babies don't need significant socialization the first month...which would be long enough to allow the kittens to be old enough to go to their homes.

The SPCA has a waiting list as far as I know, CARE is the only other rescue group that I know of that is no-kill.

http://www.envisagedesign.com/ohbaby/develop.html

fryed_1
Mega FUG

#937583 - 05/04/06 11:49 AM (162.83.89.113)

I didn't know you had a hound dog, too, or I would have given you grief about that, too. It scares me when families have ANY dog in their house that is larger than the smallest child.

How people are even willing to take that risk with their child scares the [censored] out of me.

Wait so now you're saying I should dump the dogs that haven't shown any problems and work to keep the cats, even if it isn't an ideal situation for them?

I'm sorry about your situation and I do feel bad about it, but as hurdle said people have kids and live with pets every day. Not to say any bad about you or yours, but in my opinion kids shouldn't be allowed to pull those kinds of stunts with any dog. If I had heard that anywhere else or on the news or something, I would have said it was a case of neglectful parenting to allow a toddler to treat a dog as such.

cassandra&sarasdaddy
FUG Dignitary

Reged: 06/27/03
Loc: hartwood
      #937586 - 05/04/06 11:51 AM (69.174.122.26)

no kids?

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

#937589 - 05/04/06 11:54 AM (208.20.220.69)

I'm sure all parents can attest that you can't watch your kid all the time. This happened in the morning. I had gotten out of bed before my mom was even awake and was wandering the house.

I'm saying having an animal that is more powerful than the smallest child in the house is dangerous. I think your cat problem is lack of attention towards the cats since you have your hands full with the baby. Hopefully, your dogs don't do what mine did, but are you really willing to take that chance?

Animals are unpredicatable. While the cats may harbor ill will towards the baby right now since they feel it's getting the attention, a cat can't eat your child. ..a dog can.

--------------------

fryed_1
Mega FUG

#937590 - 05/04/06 11:55 AM (162.83.89.113)

Quote: Hurdleguru

Spend 5 minutes with your cats so they know you still want them.

We do spend time with them, but they still hiss and hide when Taylor is brought into the room. Matter of fact and angie and taylor are still asleep in the bedroom, doors shut and the other cat (not the mom) is laying here on my feet while I scratch her side with my toes. We spend as much time with them as we can, but again it's not making an effect quick enough and we're not willing to take the chance of Taylor getting hurt.

Quote:

And for the first month babies are only alert 2 1/2 hours out of a day. Until the 3rd month they don't even recognize their own hands and feet. Babies don't need significant socialization the first month...which would be long enough to allow the kittens to be old enough to go to their homes.

I don't doubt your sources... and I may just be a bit overjoyed with my first child, but when I'm holding or feeding her and she looks right into my eyes, something tells me she recognizes me already. I'm not going to give up that feeling because a study tells me that for the first 3 months they won't see you so you can leave them in their crib to sleep and it won't make a difference...

kimcmitch
FUGmaster Flash

Re: Cats need to go [Re: cassandra&sarasdaddy]
      #937591 - 05/04/06 11:56 AM (71.254.22.111)

She's the expert you know. All that time I spent snuggling, talking to, just looking at my newborn was wasted on my kids. I only needed to leave them in the crib all the time and just come in to feed and change them. How silly I was to think that the baby was enoying it when I just held him/her while he/she slept.

Damn, now I'm getting misty. I would love anouther baby.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18970

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com