YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 11.27.14 | 

Communities >> Westmoreland

Pages: 1
brksnny
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/10/05
Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group?
      #663308 - 03/10/05 12:58 PM (63.104.174.146)

I too live in Colonial Beach. I live on the point....but as all people in Colonial Beach, I am everywhere...and it seems at the wrong time.

Last July 4 I was at McDonalds with my 2 y/o grandaughter when there was a shooting, last weekend I was 1 block away and saw the red camero speeding away...I then, unknowingly, had to drive by the scene and be exposed to the sight of the victim lying on the ground in order to finish my errands.

Enough is enough....a quote in today's article on the shooting was "In each case, we've managed to identify the perpetrators very quickly and to arrest them soon after the incidents," Turner said.

So what! Where is our crime prevention. I am asking why these things are happening in such a small town whewre there should be a handle on things.....Why are we having these issues in a town of 3,200 people....that is a dang high crime rate.

I'd like tot see the statistics on the violent crime rate in Colonial Beach over the past 10 years. It has to be going up.

If the Chamber want tourists and new businesses, they need to put pressure on the "good old boys" in town who wax elloquent about serious issues. The people of Colonial Beach need to do the same.

I want the Mayor, Chief of Police and Town Manager to be accountable to its citizens. We demand better protection and deserve it.

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.....

I'll be the first to volunteer for a Community Watch group...we know where the problems are.....they are in a specific area of town.

I would like to see "citizens patrol" in the community with walkie talkies to directly communicate with the patrol cars when there are potential problems. It would take a significant committment to have people on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.....but it is getting to the point where the police department needs help. They cannot be everywhere.....citizen volunteers can make a difference.

Seeing this kind of presence might just put pressure on the undesirables and maybe they will go elsewhere. At a minimim honest people might feel it is safer if there is someone watching out for them.

It works in other communities, why not ours.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZsaZsa
FUG Graduate

Reged: 12/13/04
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: brksnny]
      #672663 - 03/23/05 06:01 PM (205.188.116.136)

Turner is really doing a bad job isn't he?

--------------------
Lori

snfr02chic
stranger

Reged: 12/29/03
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: ZsaZsa]
      #859078 - 01/06/06 09:43 AM (66.225.76.218)

My only advice....get out while you still can!

--------------------
...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-
-:¦:- (( °º °
-:-`v´* Cheyenne *-:¦:- °·..* * °.. ·

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/27/05
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: snfr02chic]
      #866331 - 01/15/06 03:36 PM (71.241.23.172)

I'm sorry, but if you have not walked in someone's shoes, then you can not know what it is like. I to have lived in the great little town of Colonial Beach for more years then some of you have been in this world. (about 44 years)I worked in law enforcement at the CBPD for many years until my health gave out. I worked under 3 police chiefs, and I can tell you, their job is not easy. Most of the officers who come to work in Colonial Beach fall into three areas. 1) young men just wanting to get into law enforcement, and looking for someone to pay the cost of going through the police academy, and getting a couple years experience, before moving on to better paying locations. 2) Older officers who have retired from other areas, and are getting to old to run and capture a suspect. 3)Officers who for various reasons had to leave their previous job in law enforcement. As far as setting up a nieghborhood Watch Program, this was tried at least 3 times during the time frame that I worked in the department. Each time it lasted about two to six months then died. These volunteers were given walkie talkies which were connected directly to the dispatcher's desk.They held training on what to look for, and what they should do when they found something suspicious.
Myself personly, I liked it better when we had one police officer, who was known as Capt. Joe Miller. HE WAS THE POLICE DEPARTMENT, and if you were arrested, you went to the town hall for your trial, and stood before the mayor of the town, and any town residents who were interested in your case. NOW THAT WAS THE GOOD OLD DAYS !!!

AA242424
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Ohio
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: BeachBum]
      #905138 - 03/08/06 12:20 PM (65.24.181.179)

I lived in Colonial Beach from 1976-1977 and again in 1980-1987 as a child. I was 8 when my family moved there in 1980. My father moved us there because he had taken a job at the Reno (now Riverboat.) When the owner of the Reno passed away in 1984 things started to take a turn for the worse and my father started an electrical contracting business. By 1987 my parents decided to move back to Ohio as we had other family here. My father recently passed and looking back for answers as to how I have got to where I am today I remember the best years of my child hood being at Colonial Beach. I have only returned to the beach once since 1987 and that was in 2000. I spent a day boating on the Potomac River that I had admired so much as a child. It was a glorious day that I will never forget. I hope one day to be able to reside at Colonial Beach. With a family here in Ohio and both my wife and myself having jobs that we don't want to leave until retirement (18 more years,) I'll have to settle with returning to visit when ever possible. I look forward to returning to the beach this summer and sharing with my wife and daughter the place that has a huge spot in my heart.

MsH
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 07/16/02
Loc: on the brink
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: AA242424]
      #906822 - 03/10/06 02:04 PM (155.104.239.13)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, AA242424, but the Riverboat was destroyed in hurricane Isabel.

There are in the process of rebuilding, though.

--------------------
"They laughed because she was different. She laughed because they were all the same." -unknown

AA242424
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Ohio
Re: Crime in CB - Need Community Watch Group? [Re: MsH]
      #907070 - 03/11/06 08:47 AM (65.24.181.179)

Yeah, I was aware of that. I do have a few relatives that live in Maryland not to far away from the beach and they have kept me somewhat up to date. I remember Huricane Gloria tore the floors out of the place but it was able to be rebuilt. Sad to see that Isabelle wiped out what was left of the original building. I spent many a day in that place when I was young. My mom and dad worked there for several years. I witnessed a man shot to death on the porch and a stabing inside the Reno when I was only 12. At any rate, thanks for the info!!

CharliGirl
FUG Junior

Reged: 04/04/06
Loc: My home is in Caroline, but I ...
      #920846 - 04/04/06 08:33 PM (206.246.73.235)

Oh that is so awful!
I hope the person didnt die!
And I hope your granddaughter didn't see it or know what it was if she did
That would be terrible.
Is Colonail Beach really that bad?
We drove through there and it looked nice.

--------------------
Hey Toto! This doesn't look like Kansas!

Jinxy
FUG Honcho

Reged: 11/10/05
Loc: Second star to the right
      #1116931 - 05/18/07 08:48 PM (75.199.176.122)

Quote:

I'll be the first to volunteer for a Community Watch group...we know where the problems are.....they are in a specific area of town.

Where are the "bad" areas of Colonial Beach, specifically?

--------------------
The difference between an adventure and a disaster is preparedness.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3426

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com