YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 09.21.14 | 

Communities >> Westmoreland

Pages: 1
eightrac
FUG Freshman

Reged: 02/28/10
Fairly new in CB
      #1559879 - 02/28/10 07:35 PM (74.214.55.254)

Hello. I just wanted to "show face" so to say. My wife, two sons and I moved here July 2008 from Tucson AZ. I am a combat disabled Air Force Rescue Veteran and a Defense Contractor. We chose CB because of the image that some people we met had given to us about how the place is and how nice it can be. I have been reading the forums for a few hours now and it looks as though the town is in dire need for new city gov't leadership. What has happened here? It looks like CB has the highest tax rate around yet everything is in shambles. Sounds to me like someone is filling their pockets with funds that could be use to spruce the place up, or at least maintain it to some extent. What does the mayor have against prosperity???? You can't even enjoy yourself at the beach without seeing some type of huge eyesore. The "projects" on 4th street need to go. Talk about an eyesore. Make some housing in the county somewhere or get rid of it all together. It seems like all the crime happens right there and every time I pass, there is some crack head throwing his dollar menu mcdonalds trash on the side walk as he's walking to his next crack puff.

Anyway, don't mean to step on anyone's toes and surely don't want to make any enemies the first day but something has to be done about these gangsters we have for gov't officials. Nothing will ever get done if something isn't done. Hope to chat with you all soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 08/01/05
Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: eightrac]
      #1559888 - 02/28/10 08:50 PM (72.82.114.97)

Welcome to C.B. my friend. Don't be surprised if the nay-sayers come at you with both guns blazing soon for saying what they don't want to hear. I wish you and your family well. Send me a PM if you would like- I have children in the town schools and would be interested to know if we have already met.

comehere
stranger

Reged: 01/13/07
Loc: King George
      #1559937 - 03/01/10 07:56 AM (75.226.3.22)

Ah....Fresh Blood.... Watch out Eightrac they don't like "mirrors" in CB, as mirrors tend to show the truth.... Maxsmom....I tried taking down the masking tape off the Police Station and they looked at me like I was crazy and I also contacted the US Postal service and am trying to get a replacement "C" for the post office (My 2 things to try and help)....

Maxsmom64
Super FUG

Reged: 08/21/08
Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: comehere]
      #1559940 - 03/01/10 08:02 AM (65.210.16.2)

Good for you!

I'm surprised they didn't try to arrest you for taking down the tape...I hear they have some new young blood on the force that are pretty agressive....No first hand experience...just grapevine stuff..

Welcome eightrac! I'll have some comments for you later...

--------------------
Never trust sheep....there's probably a wolf under there somewhere

Edited by Maxsmom64 (03/01/10 08:04 AM)

SILVERTOP
FUG Graduate

Reged: 08/24/08
Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: Maxsmom64]
      #1559954 - 03/01/10 09:07 AM (69.243.220.166)

Colonial Beach is a wonderful place just waiting for new blood. It has a lot of people who want to preserve its old school charm. It just needs a few people who want to polish that imagine.

Maxsmom64
Super FUG

Reged: 08/21/08
Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: SILVERTOP]
      #1559957 - 03/01/10 09:13 AM (65.210.16.2)

I totally agree!

--------------------
Never trust sheep....there's probably a wolf under there somewhere

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

#1560054 - 03/01/10 10:50 PM (128.190.125.2)

Quote:

I tried taking down the masking tape off the Police Station and they looked at me like I was crazy and I also contacted the US Postal service and am trying to get a replacement "C" for the post office

I'm surprised someone didn't drive by and contact AMW ! (LOL)

comehere
stranger

Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: fireball]
      #1561826 - 03/11/10 09:13 AM (75.197.217.24)

After reading yet another story about corrupt officials in CB, I have just one question..... WHEN WILL THE STATE OF VIRGINIA get involved??.... What can WE (locals and comeheres) do to stop this nonsense of "going backwards"?? It's obvious CB needs some sort of Outside Intervention who can we contact?... Seriously I want to help just don't know which entity I need to contact??... There has got to be SOME ELECTED OFFICIAL in the State of Va. who is responsible (or cares) about the state of CB and it's residents... WHO??

CBKat
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/11/10
      #1561840 - 03/11/10 10:36 AM (24.245.108.72)

Speaking of outside intervention, the CB School Board meeting last night was very interesting. Because the high school is rated in the lowest 5% of all Virginia schools, the Board had to vote on which remediation plan to adopt. Go to the JournalPress website for more information. It's too much to post here.

comehere
stranger

Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: CBKat]
      #1562022 - 03/12/10 07:42 AM (75.227.221.114)

Quote:

Speaking of outside intervention, the CB School Board meeting last night was very interesting. Because the high school is rated in the lowest 5% of all Virginia schools, the Board had to vote on which remediation plan to adopt. Go to the JournalPress website for more information. It's too much to post here.

SAD.... But to be expected...

Maybe now the "Powers that be" in CB can see what their YEARS of resisting change, growth and prosperity have done. They've created an atmosphere of dispair and it's stated to trickle down to YOUR youth. The Kids of CB have absolutely nothing to help them grow into responsible adults?? Just look at all of the problems the Towns leadership has shown them, REMEMBER WE AS ADULTS SET THE EXAMPLE FOR OUR YOUTH!!!!!.. What kind of example are YOU representing when the School, Police, Mayor and who knows who else have been charged with criminal actions?... Kids get "Book Smart" in school and the get "Street Smart" on the streets, unfortunately CB has nothing but streets there aren't and Bowling Alleys, Movie Theatres, Arcades or ANYTHING for the young kids to do. SHAME of the Leadership (I have a better adjective however I won't use it) for allowing this to happen YOU are the ones to blame for the current condition.. Quit passing the buck, grow up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT...... Sorry if I've "GOADED" anyone, I was hoping to embarass you instead.... Bring it on!!

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

#1562136 - 03/12/10 05:16 PM (72.82.114.97)

Here's the Journal and FLS articles:.

http://www.journalpress.com/colonial-bea...federal-mandate

And the FLS articles:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03122010/533864

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03112010/533631

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03072010/532515

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

#1562138 - 03/12/10 05:25 PM (72.82.114.97)

Quote:

Here's the Journal and FLS articles:.

http://www.journalpress.com/colonial-bea...federal-mandate

And the FLS articles:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03122010/533864

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03112010/533631

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/032010/03072010/532515

Yes, comehere! You are preaching to the choir on this one! Anyone else besides me notice how quiet this thread has been lately?

If there is anyone else out there that is interested in developing some kind of coalition independent of the local government (call it the tea party movement for CB, maybe) send me a PM.

It's now or never. I believe more than ever that this town is living on borrowed time without some grass-roots action. State intervention may be a part, but with the budget shortfalls they are experiencing they will not be able to do much.

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/27/05
      #1562230 - 03/13/10 01:11 AM (71.253.241.131)

I will not get into a argument with anyone, each of us have our own opinions. I do have two pieces of advice. I would be careful what words you use in our forum. 1)What person has been CHARGED WITH A CRIME ? I have lived in CB for over 45 years and can't recall any town official being charged and convicted of and crime. 2) Who are these GANGSTERS WE HAVE IN OUR TOWN OFFICIALS ? It is my understanding that a gangster is a known convicted criminal. Words like charged & gangsters being used without proof of same, could become a very messy legal problem for someone.

comehere
stranger

Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: BeachBum]
      #1562244 - 03/13/10 07:28 AM (75.227.182.77)

Start a "PLEASE Help our Beach" petition and get as many signatures as possible. Post this in the local newspapers and see how quickly the State officials react... The residents NEED to voice their opinions LOUDLY in order to be heard... If you continue to sit idly by nothing is going to improve.... I'll be happy to help in any way I can, feel free to PM me if desired.... SERIOUSLY want to help!!

comehere
stranger

#1562246 - 03/13/10 07:32 AM (75.227.182.77)

Kudo's to you Fireball for standing your ground!!... After 4 years of posting on here I can only think of 4 or 5 who were BRAVE enough stand up.... CB needs more like this if you want to get anything accomplished.....

DWBresident
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/13/10
      #1562308 - 03/13/10 10:57 AM (67.142.167.23)

would like to bring up the idea of consolidation of CB school system with Westmoreland- there is a huge waste of money due to the number of redundant highly paid positions in these two systems, our county schools are being dragged down by having to fund two completely separate entities for no good reason except maybe some old tired "our town is better than the county" excuses. the time has come esp. since CB looks like its in the bottom 5 percent and has some embezzlement issues.

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: DWBresident]
      #1562349 - 03/13/10 02:34 PM (72.82.114.97)

Quote:

would like to bring up the idea of consolidation of CB school system with Westmoreland- there is a huge waste of money due to the number of redundant highly paid positions in these two systems, our county schools are being dragged down by having to fund two completely separate entities for no good reason except maybe some old tired "our town is better than the county" excuses. the time has come esp. since CB looks like its in the bottom 5 percent and has some embezzlement issues.

That, unfortunately may end up being an option. That is a rather touchy subject around here. The fissures between the town and county run long and deep. The biggest obstacle will be whether the county commits to keeping the existing structures open and consolidating administration, or building a new HS in the Montross area and forcing the bulk of the local kids to commute. The county has had a rather poor track record in the past of showing much interest in anything this side of Flat Iron Corner, so that's a legitimate concern. What bothers me the most is that all this was so preventable. So many investors have been sent packing that would have helped the town grow economically over the years that now with public funding on the decline the town is definitely between a rock and a hard place. If the powers-that-be would only ease up on the anti-growth mentality and quit with the knee-jerk responses as displayed by BeachBum any time someone voices concern, IMHO this community would be better off. I, too have ties to this area going back over 40 years, BeachBum! I grew up here, spent K- 10 years in the school system, and now live in the home in which I was raised. I've worked for the town twice over the years, and held memberships in several community organizations at one time or the other. But that shouldn't matter. ANYONE with a stake in this community has a RIGHT and a RESPONSIBILITY to stand up when it needs help, and NOW is one of those times!

CBKat
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/11/10
      #1562419 - 03/13/10 06:59 PM (24.245.108.72)

A decision for the high school was reached by the school board on Wed night. They are now required to answer to the state. They opted to keep the current principa on a one-year probation status. There is extra federal money to fund the changes. So there is a silver lining. If you really want to effect change you need to go to the meetings and participate any way you can.

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: CBKat]
      #1562437 - 03/13/10 08:33 PM (128.190.125.2)

Quote:

A decision for the high school was reached by the school board on Wed night. They are now required to answer to the state. They opted to keep the current principa on a one-year probation status. There is extra federal money to fund the changes. So there is a silver lining. If you really want to effect change you need to go to the meetings and participate any way you can.

CBkat, I plan to. As I have told others in this thread offline, I worry that the School Board and Superintendent are looking for the easy way out. The waivers the state BOE appear to be willing to give them show that they may be looking for an easy way out too. That will mean bringing down as much pressure from other sources as possible before they just pick up the corner of the proverbial rug and sweep this all under it like has happened too many other times around here. I wonder how much resolve the locals can be really expected to have. For all that has happened, they'll have to submit to a little more oversight and they'll get a bunch of new money. No one goes out the door, no hope for any new blood with new ideas on the horizon, and the kids will be forced to live in the middle of all this for who knows how long. Makes no sense to me.

DWBresident
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/13/10
      #1563205 - 03/18/10 12:14 PM (67.142.167.22)

more fodder for my consolidation proposal in today's freelance. put the smartest members of both entities together and maybe you'll have one functioning school board.

eightrac
FUG Freshman

Reged: 02/28/10
Re: Fairly new in CB [Re: DWBresident]
      #1563808 - 03/21/10 10:54 AM (74.214.55.29)

Wow, Guess I sparked something.... LOL... Anyhow, I hope to chat with you all in the future!!

crazycandlelady
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/25/10
Loc: Colonial Beach, VA
      #1565388 - 03/28/10 09:42 AM (72.82.110.191)

I have been here 3 years now and I will have to say it took some getting used to. But once I started to live and work here I found some great people and have made some great friends. You will find so many people want a change this could be a fantastic place but it will never be if people keep using the politics for personnal gain and their own piggy bank. Now with all that I still love this place and have had the opportunity to move away and choose to stay I am sticking it out and I am going to make a difference.

--------------------
shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars

HenryDonald
FUG Senior

Reged: 04/23/09
      #1565813 - 03/31/10 01:05 PM (72.82.115.151)

You can have all the elected officials in the world, but the bottom line is, it is a community thing that has to be done. We have to stand up to the things we don't want and have no fear in doing it. Community watch does wonders in many areas, but there are more elder people here than young, and it is hard on them. I am 60 yrs old, but I have the tendency to just jump in when I see something wrong going on, and pray to God I live through it. I have yet to be attacked, if you approach it properly, not too pushy often times those people will move on. The officials need our support, not our complaints on what they aren't doing. There are drugs in all communities and gangs now, but we have to work together to either push them out or break them down. Gangs come from lack of family they look to each other for support, and this community could use some youth centers or some kind of program, like a boys and girls club. We have to get to them while they are young, not all kids want to do sports.

By the way, We moved here two years ago, our children are all grown, hard to find friends when you hit our age, or go to places where there is not a smoked filled area, would love to get out, we joined a club, for get which one, but I can not go to it, cause of my asthma and lung problems so I am not able to get out and get to know some peers. Hard sometime.
I like this town though, and I think we can fix it up, I do agree that with the taxes there is no reason for this area to have such eye sores, they do need cleaning up, even if we all have to dig in to do it.

--------------------
Love living in CB.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7836

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com