YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 10.22.14 | 

Communities >> Westmoreland

Pages: 1
comehere
stranger

Reged: 01/13/07
Loc: King George
CB.... Crack Haven
      #1537310 - 11/20/09 07:45 AM (70.208.16.143)

Just one more reason for tourists to visit CB....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BeachBum
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/27/05
Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: comehere]
      #1537374 - 11/20/09 01:54 PM (71.253.206.105)

Hi Comehere, I have two request. Please read the post under the FLS artical about the raids in Westmoreland Co. Second, Please notify me ahead of time if you ever get ready to say something NICE about Colonial Beach, so I can prepare myself, and not have a heart attack.HA,HA,HA...Im just joking with you...

SILVERTOP
FUG Graduate

Reged: 08/24/08
Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: BeachBum]
      #1537464 - 11/20/09 10:08 PM (76.123.51.117)

I like this! I see it as something positive. It seems that the CB Police Force is on the move and the movement is forward. Everyone should take the time to pat your local Cop on the back. Every time they make an arrest, you become just a tad safer, the community stands just a tad taller and all is well with the world. The Cops could use your help it is your responsibility also. Talk to these people, tell them how grateful you are and .what you see. Have some info? Tell it to your new friend. You will be helping your self and your neighbors. We are quick to complain and complain loudly if some thing happens - yet never lift a finger to help.

Me thinks someone should make an extra Pie and drop it off at the station. Maybe buy a cup of coffee. Tis the little things that count :-)

BikerBabe60
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 01/26/09
Loc: 38.898748, -77.037684
Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: SILVERTOP]
      #1537957 - 11/23/09 05:14 PM (68.57.51.41)

I love Colonial Beach. The decked out Golf Carts crack me up.

everythink
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 12/06/05
Loc: VA
      #1537966 - 11/23/09 06:44 PM (70.41.141.55)

Quote:

I like this! I see it as something positive. It seems that the CB Police Force is on the move and the movement is forward. Everyone should take the time to pat your local Cop on the back. Every time they make an arrest, you become just a tad safer, the community stands just a tad taller and all is well with the world. The Cops could use your help it is your responsibility also. Talk to these people, tell them how grateful you are and .what you see. Have some info? Tell it to your new friend. You will be helping your self and your neighbors. We are quick to complain and complain loudly if some thing happens - yet never lift a finger to help.

Me thinks someone should make an extra Pie and drop it off at the station. Maybe buy a cup of coffee. Tis the little things that count :-)

I like your attitude, Silvertop. At least, the problem is not being ignored (anymore)..There is a task force in place, which tells me, that Colonial Beach has needed help in this area. Every resort town has drug problems...Things are on the move, as you say, and I believe, if people keep the positive changes in mind, it will get even better. I'm with BikerBabe, I love Colonial Beach. I love boating there, and I enjoy the people I meet.

comehere
stranger

#1538070 - 11/24/09 08:02 AM (75.226.149.149)

Quote:

Silvertop, I'm with you and like what you have to say but I can't resist myself....

"Can someone also take a paintbrush and can of paint along with the pie to the Police Station.... then maybe they can finish painting their sign.... Actually that was the reason for the raid.... They needed painters....:-)

Sorry everyone I couln't resist...

Remember BeachBum I "try" to rattle cages on purpose in hopes of getting some sort of positive re-action.. I too hope things get better.... However with a Wal-Mart coming to Dahlgren I don't see too bright of a future for the remaining retail business in CB.... Thats why CB NEEDS to focus on tourism or their done!... Maybe this could actually work out better for the residents of CB?? Maybe the State will take over the Town and invest $$$$ into it and turn it around???....

Only hoping for a BETTER BEACH and positive changes for the residents...

SILVERTOP
FUG Graduate

Reged: 08/24/08
      #1538194 - 11/24/09 09:07 PM (76.123.51.117)

Ah Mr. Comehere. Head on down to that sign and see what you will need - Then do sign right. See how easy it is. You will stand a little taller and so will CB. Before you say "No", ask for help. If no one offers you won't feel too bad.

comehere
stranger

#1538269 - 11/25/09 08:46 AM (75.196.109.115)

Quote:

Ah Mr. Comehere. Head on down to that sign and see what you will need - Then do sign right. See how easy it is. You will stand a little taller and so will CB. Before you say "No", ask for help. If no one offers you won't feel too bad.

"IF" I would have started the painting I GUARANTEE you that I would have finished it!!... I'm curious as to "WHY" it hasn't been finished??... Can anyone answer that, it's only been about 6 months... I could understand if this was someones home and they ran out of paint or time or had health issues but it's a Goverment/Town run building and not to mention It's one of the first things you see upon arriving at the beach??...

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: The grotto at Chateau Burquoi...
      #1542563 - 12/15/09 07:20 PM (24.75.134.86)

Quote:

Remember BeachBum I "try" to rattle cages on purpose in hopes of getting some sort of positive re-action.. I too hope things get better....

If you want to build something up then don't tear it down, build it up!

--------------------
Has Hannity been waterboarded yet?

comehere
stranger

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: Burqajoint]
      #1542719 - 12/16/09 07:49 AM (75.197.90.42)

Quote:

Quote:

Remember BeachBum I "try" to rattle cages on purpose in hopes of getting some sort of positive re-action.. I too hope things get better....

If you want to build something up then don't tear it down, build it up!

CB has been on the brink of SELF DESTRUCTION long before we ever got here.... Had we known CB would continue to decline we'd have probaly considered moving elsewhere... My hope has always been some developer realizing the potential CB had/has and developing it into a CLEAN, MODERN small town beach, unfortunately the Powers that be shooo everyone away....

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: The grotto at Chateau Burquoi...
      #1542886 - 12/16/09 08:10 PM (24.75.134.86)

It's a shame you didn't understand what Colonial Beach is about and has always been about before moving there.
Colonial Beach has always been on the brink of destruction, had brief revivals followed by disaster, followed by revival and disaster again.
It is a town built by waterman active in a tough industry and the last thing they want is to have the place turn into some sissified boutique.

The best thing to do is instead of trying to change them, blend in with the locals and become one of them. There are some great folks there and you'll find the changes you make in terms of dealing with others will be positive ones.
There is a great rough-around-the-edges character to the place and major development and the sort of thing you imagine would kill all that...

--------------------
Has Hannity been waterboarded yet?

BeachBum
FUG Senior

#1542973 - 12/17/09 12:37 AM (71.253.254.16)

Thanks Burgerjoint, I could not have said it better myself.
I have said it before, and I will,say it again, if you would like to come to Colonial Beach, and live our lifestyle, then you are more then welcome, but don't move here and think you are going to change the way we have lived for over 100 years. We have a good school system, good churches, our fire, rescue and police are great, and there are many good people living here, and they have't moved away, so it must not be such a bad place after all.

comehere
stranger

#1543010 - 12/17/09 08:21 AM (75.226.89.252)

WOW.... Must be something in the water???.... Talk about "rose colored glasses"..... Wallow in it!!

pooh
Super FUG

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: The Promise Land
      #1546482 - 12/30/09 06:46 PM (69.161.107.218)

ComeHere, you could always change your name to LeaveHere.

--------------------
"Ucking Igs!" - Pooh Percy

"Grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept, serenity to accept the things I've changed, and the wisdom to know I'm different." - Rat

whoopsmybad
FUG Senior

Reged: 02/26/08
Loc: Over the rainbow...
      #1546487 - 12/30/09 07:10 PM (64.12.117.74)

Quote:

Just one more reason for tourists to visit CB....

This could be said of any community in Virginia. Some communities hide it better than others. I love Colonial Beach. The locals are really down home people. I will keep going to and enjoying Colonial Beach. You can always see the "bad" in any community if you really want to.

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: whoopsmybad]
      #1546742 - 12/31/09 10:50 PM (74.214.55.26)

Well put whoopsmybad, You will find good and bad in every town or city....HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 08/01/05
      #1546870 - 01/02/10 01:38 AM (128.190.125.2)

Don't fret, comehere-There are a lot of us that remember when this place was more stable economically, while maintaining the small-town charm and low-crime rates. Not that long ago, actually. I'd say it began to slowly change in the early '80s, as the working class that still was active began to age and their children moved away. The gentrification gathered steam in the '90s, with the town taking on more of the look of a senior retirement community as the retail tax base moved away. The crime rate steadily rose and property values steadily fell during that period, as a funding crunch kept public services far behind the needs of the community. Much was said of the time back during that period when the remark was made at a council meeting that anyone under the age of 65 should just move away (said by a senior citizen). The likely last opportunity for privately-funded development of one of the last public beaches in the state in order to make it self-sustaining was squandered just before Hurricane Isabel hit, thanks to a small, yet vocal opposition and a lot of political cowardice. With the economic times we are now in, I worry that not only do the anti-growth crowd have nothing to worry about, we all will have to face a future of ever declining services due to shrinking revenue and decaying infrastructure with no prospects for funds to fix the problems. All I need as proof I get every time I turn on a faucet before my toilet finishes refilling after being flushed.

I would love to be proven wrong. I just don't believe the current Mayor/Council have the vision or political courage to find a way to work with the community to find a way out of this mess. What say you, BeachBum?
Can CB be saved?
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (01/02/10 12:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

comehere
stranger

#1547220 - 01/04/10 07:35 AM (75.227.34.12)

Quote:

It's a shame you didn't understand what Colonial Beach is about and has always been about before moving there.
Colonial Beach has always been on the brink of destruction, had brief revivals followed by disaster, followed by revival and disaster again.
It is a town built by waterman active in a tough industry and the last thing they want is to have the place turn into some sissified boutique.

The best thing to do is instead of trying to change them, blend in with the locals and become one of them. There are some great folks there and you'll find the changes you make in terms of dealing with others will be positive ones.
There is a great rough-around-the-edges character to the place and major development and the sort of thing you imagine would kill all that...

Another drug bust.... Thats the 7th "Raid" in the past 4 years.... Now tell me again "What is CB about"??.... It seems to me that I hear and read more about DRUGS than I do about improvements being made...

.... I DON'T WANT TO BLEND IN!!... I WANT TO BREAK THE DECAYING MOLD..

Bring on the Boutiques!!!....

BeachBum
FUG Senior

#1547409 - 01/04/10 11:10 PM (71.253.196.49)

Comerhere, that just shows me that local law enforcement and surounding departments are doing a great job of cleaning up the trash.I am wondering, have you ever considered volunteering with the local police dept. or fire / rescue, Im sure they could really use your help with all your ideas. Perhaps you could volunteer to finish painting the police department sign that seems to upset you so much. I go by that sign almost every day, and I can't see what is wrong with it. The sign says Police Department, and that is what the building is !!!

comehere
stranger

#1547443 - 01/05/10 08:37 AM (75.226.253.105)

Quote:

Comerhere, that just shows me that local law enforcement and surounding departments are doing a great job of cleaning up the trash.I am wondering, have you ever considered volunteering with the local police dept. or fire / rescue, Im sure they could really use your help with all your ideas. Perhaps you could volunteer to finish painting the police department sign that seems to upset you so much. I go by that sign almost every day, and I can't see what is wrong with it. The sign says Police Department, and that is what the building is !!!

You just don't get it do you??... Nor do you see it??.... Why does a community of 3000 people that mainly consists of elderly unemployed people have such a bad drug problem.... BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE FOR THEM TO DO!!!... There aren't any jobs, places to go, things to do, ways to stimulate young peopls energy.... The senior citizens and powers that be in CB have been so eager to keep the Comeheres and their desire to IMPROVE, Re-BUILD, MODERNIZE and CLEAN up away, they in turn allowed the Beach to crumble to it's current existence...

The Police sign still has masking tape on it besides being painted the wrong color. The Police Dept. is in a terrible location..... This equates to Bad Planning ( a common problem at the Beach)

The "olonial" Post Office has been missing their "C" since we came here 5 years ago..

Ya'll like to talk "Drifter Pride" but your actions sure don't show it...

Instead on constantly blaming someone else how about making SERIOUS changes to the beach... Rather than chastizing me for my opinions why don't you post on the improvements that are being made/considered at the beach.... Tell me what YOUR plans are to improve the current condition.. "If" you have any plans...

comehere
stranger

#1547447 - 01/05/10 08:46 AM (75.226.253.105)

FYI.... There's going to come a time when people like myself "give up" as I'm sure many before me have. CB doesn't have the luxury of "time" nor does it have investors standing in line to help.... The residents need to make a stand SOON!!... Don't forget I'm simply an outsider looking in, it's up to the residents (and only the residents) TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE....you've driven away any outside help that was once available...

Maxsmom64
Super FUG

Reged: 08/21/08
      #1547449 - 01/05/10 08:48 AM (65.210.16.2)

Maybe you could focus some of your concern on King George since that is where you live.....just saying....

--------------------
Never trust sheep....there's probably a wolf under there somewhere

comehere
stranger

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: Maxsmom64]
      #1547481 - 01/05/10 10:52 AM (75.226.253.105)

Quote:

Maybe you could focus some of your concern on King George since that is where you live.....just saying....

I have family at the Beach hence my concern... OTHERWISE you'd have never heard of me or from me, I'd drive through CB once and would never return (like I'm sure may vacationers do)....

Why can't you combat my Negative (but truthful) comments with anything POSITIVE????... Instead you always want to shooo people away... Thats what started this mess in the first place, shoooing away people who really want to help.

You may not like what I have to say or how I say it, but if you're the least bit honest with yourself you'll see the truth in what I have said.

Maxsmom64
Super FUG

#1547482 - 01/05/10 10:58 AM (65.210.16.2)

I am not shooing anybody away. It was just a curious statement as to why you would be so interested in Colonial Beach instead of showing some concern for King George. My comment to you has nothing to do with my thinking that your comments are negative...in fact I agree with some of them. I am perfectly honest with myself and know quite a bit about he situation. You see, I was raised (until I was 10) in Colonial Beach and I still own property there. Now, I reside in King George. My comment mearly meant to ask why you seem so passionate anout CB and not for KG. Get your panties out of a bunch.....

--------------------

comehere
stranger

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: Maxsmom64]
      #1547483 - 01/05/10 11:13 AM (75.226.253.105)

Sorry MaxsMom!!... I'm so used to getting my butt chewed "I assumed" ( we know what happens when we assume).... again Sorry!!

KG is Great!!...Love it.. Not much needed to improve it except a Walmart on Rt. 301, can't wait....

I'm just soooo upset at whats happened to a place I've been going to for over 40 years. For the life of me I can't understand how and why this has happened...

Maxsmom64
Super FUG

#1547484 - 01/05/10 11:34 AM (65.210.16.2)

No apologies necessary! I too, love living in KG and do wish for a WalMart as well.

I have some of my best childhood memories from growing up in Colonial Beach. In the summer time my sister and I were turned loose to ride bikes, catch bugs, pick flowers, go to the store, go visit....whatever we wanted to do. We knew what behavior was expected and we knew that if we acted up somebody that knew us would call our Mother and we'd be in for it when we got home. Both sets of my Grandparents lived within blocks of us and we were very close with all of our family and neighbors. Summers were wonderful. Our back yard filled with dozens of people eating crabs..cooking out...the adults drinking beer, and then going down to the "front" at night. It was a simple yet magical childhood for me.

With all that being said....I too wish things were better in CB. I am embarrassed by the way some of the town "officials" act. I do frequently spend time at CB, spending money in the eateries, watching and dancing to bands at at the old Yacht Club, visiting family and friends. I'd like to see a change for the better and believe that as long as people such as you and I don't give up our hopes and dreams there will still be a chance. Goading people into "getting involved" won't work. If you can do just one thing for the betterment of CB then I will and there will be a least 2 things that will be better there. Whaddya say?

--------------------

BeachBum
FUG Senior

#1547541 - 01/05/10 07:26 PM (70.104.161.123)

WHOEEEE,Comerhere you sure did blow your top this time. All i'm going this time is you have your opinion and I have mine. Thats whats so great about this country. HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!
Oh I'm curious, who do you think would make the better fire chief in King George ? A man who has been a KG firefighter all his life,and been the volunteer chief for a long time or a person who may have never rode a fire truck or been in a burning building?(you probily don't even know what I'm talking about)

eightrac
FUG Freshman

Reged: 02/28/10
      #1564117 - 03/22/10 09:47 AM (74.214.55.29)

So I just had to sit on a Westmoreland County Jury two weeks ago and guess what it was about? A crackhead that shot two people down the street from the 7/11 and his crackhead friends help hide him in Laplata for close to 8 years. The funniest part of the whole thing was that the Defense Attorney used Crack dealers from the beach to testify for him. He introduced each of them as "Mr. so and so, crack dealer from so and so address in Colonial Beach." WTF????? If you know what they are doing and where they live, go get them..... The best thing is they weren't fighting over crack when the gun came out, it was one the arrogant family member said that they were "disrespected". LMFAO!!!! Sometimes I wish I was affiliated with another branch of Government so I could just "clean house".

fireball
FUG Frequent Flyer

Reged: 08/01/05
Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: eightrac]
      #1564365 - 03/23/10 10:27 AM (72.82.107.105)

Quote:

So I just had to sit on a Westmoreland County Jury two weeks ago and guess what it was about? A crackhead that shot two people down the street from the 7/11 and his crackhead friends help hide him in Laplata for close to 8 years. The funniest part of the whole thing was that the Defense Attorney used Crack dealers from the beach to testify for him. He introduced each of them as "Mr. so and so, crack dealer from so and so address in Colonial Beach." WTF????? If you know what they are doing and where they live, go get them..... The best thing is they weren't fighting over crack when the gun came out, it was one the arrogant family member said that they were "disrespected". LMFAO!!!! Sometimes I wish I was affiliated with another branch of Government so I could just "clean house".

I find it refreshing that a new arrival could see so quickly what so many of us have been saying for a long time. I can only hope that the level of awareness I see in these discussions, and in conversations on the street I'm having these days translates into change where it matters most-at the ballot box. No incumbent, or anyone running as a candidate for council that has held public office in the last 10 years IMHO should get more than 50 votes, if the public sentiment is really as bad as it seems to be. Comehere hit on a key point earlier in this discussion - not one of the apologists here will answer it either - how is it that a community as small, secluded and with the age demographics CB has continue to struggle with the drug/crime problem it has that is out of step with larger communities nearby in spite of the rejuvenated LE efforts in the last couple of years? I believe we are finally reaping the repercussions of the anti-growth efforts that were perpetuated by the ruling class in the late 80s through present-day. It will not change quickly, and it only has a hope of changing if the community wakes up and realizes that this community will only improve if attitudes about how it should be managed change also.

HenryDonald
FUG Senior

Reged: 04/23/09
      #1566174 - 04/02/10 11:33 AM (72.82.112.182)

Well when I move to a community I look at what I can get involved in to give to it, not complain about it. Communities thrive and die ever day and the rebuild but it take the community to make it happen. Times are even harder now, if your looking into thing just for you self satisfaction that is all you are going to get. If you look into making it for the good of all, not just for your owe profit and to make it and elite place for rich only then , your not going to get that here. This is a community of all sectors of income and they create opportunities for all. When we do not build for all, your going to get the crack communities. If you don't like what you see, by all means leave. I have live in St. Louis, Syracuse and small towns in NY, you can't find on the map and even they have these problems, but we created watch communities to chase out the elements or create things that gave people more creative things to do rather than become gangs or drug dealers. We had boys and girl clubs and functions at community centers and schools and not all have to be sports. Get of your complaining butt and put your self into creating a place for young, middle age and elder and help to set up a community watch , take back your neighborhood, and become your neighborhood when you move in. Plan to stay, plan to make it worth living in. I wish I was younger again, but I still try to do my little part here, small but I am not afraid to be a watcher, I love living here, seems to feel much saver than all those other places I had to move from. So it is a bit 50ish with a bit of crime, that can be turned around with ever single arrest that is made.

--------------------
Love living in CB.

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: HenryDonald]
      #1566481 - 04/04/10 01:21 AM (72.82.73.197)

Very well put HenryDonald. As far as the crime rate comparsion, has any one been watching the court indicments from King George, Stafford, Fredericksburg. etc. The drug problem here in CB may not be good, but it sure ain't no worse then these other areas. Also please keep in mind, if a suspect is listed as living in Colonial Beach, they may very well live in Westmoreland county, but have a Colonial Beach mailing address. This makes Westmoreland Co. look better and Colonial Beach look worse then what it really is.

HenryDonald
FUG Senior

Re: CB.... Crack Haven [Re: fireball]
      #1566870 - 04/06/10 09:02 AM (173.59.131.243)

As I said before communities come and go and rebuild as the elder die out, and then more come along to buy and rebuild. Recycle recycle. It will come back. As for the water, I don't have any problem, maybe there is a break some where. Aren't they working on that this year, isn't that what all those blue pipes are for. I lived in a small NY town, went home for a visit, like the elder here, who fight change it too is look shabby, and crime rate is up, actually it was always there, but when things look bad in other ways, that just seems to show up more in their eyes and it is blamed on that. Keep working for improvement, but don't give up on the community, there are more good people here than bad.

--------------------
Love living in CB.

HenryDonald
FUG Senior

#1566873 - 04/06/10 09:06 AM (173.59.131.243)

Aw, never thought of that. I agree though it is every where. One arrest at a time. And thanks, I like to think I am more of and optimist, rather than a pesimist(sp) and I also like to think, rather than complain about a problem, work towards ideas to fix them. Also one step at a time. Any one got a paint brush, LOL

--------------------
Love living in CB.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12117

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com