YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 10.21.14 | 

Communities >> Westmoreland

Pages: 1
sherrylyn
stranger

Reged: 02/24/06
Loc: Colonial Beach
The Point a year later
      #1150069 - 08/08/07 12:15 PM (70.104.161.16)

Well I've lived here over a year now and have a better understanding of this community. I've seen several new businesses come and go. It's very quiet. I'm still driving at least 35 miles to do any substantial shopping or business. There's still no health care to speak of here. The new shopping center sits practically empty, but very nice. I still see the "old timers" doing nothing to make Colonial Beach look prettier and more respected. They are afraid of change. Without change this place is going down. The worst part is when you turn left at the one light. That area looks like a ghetto and those business owners don't seem to care. That is the first place a visitor see's when coming to the beach. Another bad area is the parking area where the meters are. The asphalt is getting worse and worse. I have seen an improvement with public restrooms down on the point at the playground. Has anyone see the "Vision" from the C.B.F. It's wonderful and everyone who cares about C.B. should get involved with this foundation. If each one of us would do one thing to improve the beach, I believe we would succeed in our quest to live in a very nice area, free from crime, poverty and ghettos. If each resident just cleaned up their own yard, that would be a huge start. I was VERY happy to see the article in the newspaper about either fixing up or tearing down old houses. I'm seeing it happen already as I type. Has anyone been to North Beach on the Chesapeake Bay. It's a very nice little town simular to C.B. The only difference is the pot hole free roads, nice parking, cleanliness and beautiful little houses, neat as can be. So come on people, lets care about our little town, lets get busy to improve what we have here. The "old timers" and the "others" can co-exsist very nicely here together. All we need is a collective thought to improve our town, clean it up, make it pleasant on the eyes!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jinxy
FUG Honcho

Reged: 11/10/05
Loc: Second star to the right
Re: The Point a year later [Re: sherrylyn]
      #1150993 - 08/09/07 04:52 PM (75.199.50.57)

Maybe someone who seems to hold proud feelings to be a new resident of CBeach and expounds on things that should be changed for the better should at least take the time to change their location listing and own where they reside.

--------------------
The difference between an adventure and a disaster is preparedness.

BobiMaGee
FUG Freshman

Reged: 08/16/07
Re: The Point a year later [Re: Jinxy]
      #1154306 - 08/16/07 09:41 PM (69.19.14.40)

Why may I ask would you be concerned where someone resides? What are your intentions? Should we be worried?

Jinxy
FUG Honcho

Re: The Point a year later [Re: BobiMaGee]
      #1154779 - 08/18/07 01:10 AM (75.196.56.242)

--------------------

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: The grotto at Chateau Burquoi...
      #1162492 - 09/01/07 02:31 PM (63.172.80.131)

You're still new to the community and I advise sitting back for a while and getting into the flow of things.

Colonial Beach is in more of a state of revival right now.
Periodically it is hit with one disaster of another and has to rebuild.

--------------------
Has Hannity been waterboarded yet?

sherrylyn
stranger

#1163012 - 09/03/07 07:54 PM (71.253.244.84)

I joined Fred Talk when I lived in Fredericksburg, I just failed to change the location, here. It's quite obvious that I don't live in Fredericksburg anymore, and it's also obvious that this isn't the issue.

sykosis
FUG Honcho

Reged: 11/23/02
Loc: Manic America
      #1163019 - 09/03/07 08:02 PM (70.112.200.143)

My grandmother lived down there for a long time. I used to go down every summer for a crab feast. Now that I live in texas, and my grandmother is living with my Aunt, I guess they will sell the place. Have had it since late 70's. Some fond memories of that place. Ola's Kitchen is about as rustic and down home as you can get.

--------------------
It's Raining, It's Pouring.
Oh Shite, it's Global Warming.

sherrylyn
stranger

Re: The Point a year later [Re: Burqajoint]
      #1163023 - 09/03/07 08:07 PM (71.253.244.84)

Yes, I am new to the community. I've had a year and a half to sit back and get into the flow...flow of what...I see no flow...What I'm saying here is simple. Care about your community and take pride in it. Don't except things just because "they've always been this way". We have a gem here just waiting to be cut. I guess if there's more residents that think like I do, we should be at the Town Council meetings. But I like to share my ideas and thoughts here, where maybe I can meet other like minded people and get some input and ideas.

tgmcdowney
stranger

Reged: 01/26/04
      #1164576 - 09/06/07 01:43 PM (64.12.117.17)

She's really got a point. I see alot of shows with small towns, say at Christmas time. I look at the nice little diners, businesses, and know this town could be that way with enough effort. It really is a cute town with alot of potential. Next time you are watching a show with a small town theme, let your imagination vision how close Colonial Beach could come to that.
I know bigger businesses hurt the smaller ones. The coffee shop that's down just off the beach is a geat example of a warm and pretty business of the Town. A Market with fresh meats (a Butcher),fresh produce, and sea food all year long. Just things that would cater to the Town and the new residents.
It's really worth the thought. I know the Beach has come alond way in the last several years. Don't let it stop at improved, let it start there and see all it's potential

hvnfun
stranger

Reged: 03/15/06
Loc: spotsylvania
Re: The Point a year later [Re: tgmcdowney]
      #1164723 - 09/06/07 05:40 PM (71.62.226.6)

You said: Has anyone see the "Vision" from the C.B.F.
I'll ask "what is it?"

sherrylyn
stranger

C.B.F. Vision [Re: hvnfun]
      #1166371 - 09/09/07 09:54 PM (71.253.244.84)

A safe and family friendly town.
A government that encourages development and evolution of small businesses.
A town that takes continued pride in the uniqueness of our environment by keeping it healthy and beautiful.
A town that supports an outstanding school system.
Continued development of outstanding health care and emergency support systems.
Ongoing support of safe recreational harbor facilities.
A town that is a friendly and creative community of which all it's residents can be pround.

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1173087 - 09/22/07 05:23 PM (63.172.83.18)

Quote:

Yes, I am new to the community. I've had a year and a half to sit back and get into the flow...flow of what...I see no flow...

That's because you have not really assimilated into the community.
There is definitely a flow of things and a local character you need much more time to get into.

What I'm saying here is simple. Care about your community and take pride in it. Don't except things just because "they've always been this way". We have a gem here just waiting to be cut.

The "they've always been this way" is the local way things have been done by the community you have moved into.
You need to adapt to them rather than bringing in your newfangled ideas from who knows where trying to change things.
I don't know what you want to "cut," but such a recent arrival shouldn't be looking to change things just yet.
Spend time at the town council meetings.
Get involved with local groups.
Learn where to hang out to rub elbows with and get to be known.
After only a year and a half, no matter how nice you are you are still a foreigner.

If you just can't zip it long enough fo people to get to know you, pick one small obvious issue and work it patiently in private long before any letters to the editor, public demonstrations or speeches to the town council.

--------------------

Riverside
FUG Freshman

Reged: 08/18/07
      #1173274 - 09/23/07 12:06 PM (71.253.204.124)

Are you kidding me? Are you asking the us to wait patiently and let you ruin this town where we live? Are you asking us to work in private and not speak out? You are part of the reason why we are going to make changes.

I shouldn’t need to rub elbows to try to work some “back door” deals to get things changed. A great number of my neighbors and I have spent time in Council meetings seeking to get our road paved. Is you road paved? Rest assured, many letters to the editor will be sent, we will publicly demonstrate and we will continue to put pressure on the corrupt Mayor, Town Manager and the Town Council.

The town is continuing to grow. The population of Colonial Beach should double with the addition of 900+ homes west of 205. Wow! Your friends businesses want to lash out at newer residents but you love the money that we can bring in.

Your Town’s survival is key to the demographic moving in. Get rid of the apartments, get rid of the trailers, clean up the town, end the corruption and get rid of the trash! Colonial Beach will not be the same in 2-3 years. You need to know that the number of newer residents is continuing to grow. Do you think that the residents that move in are going to support your archaic way of thinking? We will soon have enough to swing votes in our favor all the time. The mayor and the council people will soon replaced to the candidate of our choice.

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Re: The Point a year later [Re: Riverside]
      #1179212 - 10/03/07 09:44 PM (63.172.83.18)

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Are you asking the us to wait patiently and let you ruin this town where we live?

I'm not ruining anything.

Quote:

Are you asking us to work in private and not speak out?

I am giving you good advice as to working within the established way the community does things instead of being some brash outsider coming in trying to change things all around.
Change is fine, but there is a right and a wrong way to go about it.

Quote:

Is you road paved?

Yes, my road is paved.

Quote:

The town is continuing to grow. The population of Colonial Beach should double with the addition of 900+ homes west of 205. Wow! Your friends businesses want to lash out at newer residents but you love the money that we can bring in.

The property taxes and other income from those 900 houses will not pay for the increase in cost of services all those new residents will cause.

Go ahead, show me a place where growth led to lower taxes.

Fairfax?

Prince William?

Stafford?

Fredericksburg?

Spotsylvania?

Quote:

Your Town’s survival is key to the demographic moving in.

I have seen Colonial Beach survive many, many disasters and moving in a bunch of loudmouthed outsiders never got them through a single one.

Quote:

Colonial Beach will not be the same in 2-3 years.

If so, that's a shame.
But I don't believe it.
At least I don't believe it will change for the better.

Quote:

Do you think that the residents that move in are going to support your archaic way of thinking?

No.
What I think is you will erase the distinctive character of the town and turn it into an anthill like Dale City.

How many times you ever been out tonging for oysters, by the way?

--------------------

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/27/05
      #1180418 - 10/05/07 10:42 PM (64.12.117.17)

First, I want to thank Burgajoint for saying what I have been trying to say for a couple weeks, but my comments keep getting refused by FUG.I moved to Colonial Beach about 45 years ago, because I could sit in my kitchen in the morning and see the sun rise over the Potomac, and sit on my porch and watch the sunset over Monroe Bay in the evening. Now, I have to look straight up in some areas of town just to see if the sun is shining, because of the condos which stick out like a sore thumb. I used to walk down to Denson's Store which was about 7 blocks away,(you new comers never heard of that family store) and be gone for a couple hours, because everyone you met you knew so you stopped and talked for awhile. Now if you wave at someone, they look at you like you are some kind of pervert, or give you that look like "what do you want" The prices of nice homes were reasonable, and the taxes were fair. Now mr. & mrs Got Bucks have moved in town with their big mini-mansions that have increased property values, so my taxes have doubled in one year. (how would they like to try living on a disability retirement check that was setup on my income based on 35 years ago)
In closing, I just want to ask a couple questions. 1) Did'nt they do any research before spending hundreds of thousouds of dollars on their mini-mansions? Did'nt they check to see what all that loud booming sounds were? (Dahlgren has been firing down river since about 1918). Did'nt they realize that alot of their neighbors have dogs that are used to roaming around the neighborhood. Did'nt they realize that there is not any Walmart in town? ( we have been driving 35 miles to go to Walmart for over 100 years and we don't mind abit. We don't need all those big retail chain stores here at Colonial Beach. My final question is this, if you wanted to move to Colonial Beach and live our layed back lifestyle then you are welcome, but if you moved to Colonial Beach with the idea you were going to change our way of living to where you just came from. I believe there are still enough of us "Old Timers" still around to ban togather and yell as one voice WHY DID'NT YOU STAY WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!!

RiverBrook
FUG Professional

Reged: 09/20/07
Loc: boomburg
Re: The Point a year later [Re: BeachBum]
      #1180431 - 10/05/07 11:13 PM (71.63.72.87)

we don’t live at colonial beach but we love taking quiet days down there... yes its sad that some of the roads and buildings haven’t been fixed from damage 3 to 4 years ago but it seems every time there is a bad storm it heads right for the place and small places take longer to fix, the clock moves a little slower unlike how crazy fburg has got…. i don’t think that is what your looking for (just fixing what’s broken).. i think the place is quant and its sweet seeing the older folks enjoying the view from their front porch or motoring around in their golf carts. most of the businesses there have been there for a long time.. if you want something more cosmopolitan move to Virginia beach or outer banks... unless you have been around for a generation in a place like that your opinions will fall on deaf ears.

--------------------
well behaved women rarely make history

BobiMaGee
FUG Freshman

Reged: 08/16/07
Re: The Point a year later [Re: RiverBrook]
      #1180725 - 10/07/07 04:28 PM (69.19.14.26)

I don't read anyone in this string of post saying that they want the beach to change to become like VA Beach, or that they need a WalMart around the corner. I'm hearing people who care about where they live..who wouldn't!
I'm sure no one, not even the natives of the beach want to see it taken over by crime and general decay, which as unfortunate as it is, comes when you have homes that are not taken care of, alot of low priced rentals, no infrastructure, and neighborhoods that just simply look bad.
What I read here is a few writers that would like you to take pride in your town. That isn't getting done by sitting around grumbling and resenting your new neighbors. To the writer who complained about being looked at like a pervert when walking, it just could be the natives of the beach glaring at each other because they're so darn sure everyone has descended on their beloved town to destroy it. Let's all work together to make it like it used to be..because let's face it, for many years it didn't look like a nice place to live.
Also keep in mind..The people who are buying land and lots there are buying them usually from your neighbors that decided to sell. If no one sold, there would be nothing to buy and nothing would ever change. That's just not reality!

I'm sure I speak for many of us "come here's" when I say, I do love your town. I will do everything in my power to make it a place to be proud to call OUR home. I don't want it to grow into a Fredbg or N.VA. I just don't want it to be on the DC news channel in the morning declaring how many shootings and robberies happened the night before. If everyone works together, that crime that already has a good toehold there, will not take over...which can happen very easy with residence that don't want to change anything at all.

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1181209 - 10/08/07 08:31 PM (63.172.83.18)

No sweat, BB.
If you want to save the town, get a moratorium on new construction right away and get busy with zoning.

Otherwise you can see the sort of place these come-heres are gonna try and make of the place.
By the time they are done, everything will be paved, the old buildings will be torn down and it will look like Dumphries.

--------------------

Tiger Coach
stranger

Reged: 03/10/07
Loc: Rio
      #1185353 - 10/16/07 10:04 AM (24.149.91.176)

Dont know who you wave at, but the people i wave at are very friendly and its really nice here. Things change everyday in the world, get over it or move in the desert and be by yourself

BeachBum
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/27/05
      #1187101 - 10/18/07 12:29 AM (205.188.117.17)

Sorry Tiger Coach, but I'm not going anywhere. Why should the residents who have lived in Colonial Beach all their lives, or most of it, have to change our lifestyle which we have enjoyed for over one hundred years just because Mr. & Mrs Got Bucks wants to come in town and build their mini-mansions, and put up condos, and bring into town large chain retail stores which will kill off the small private businesses. Like I have said before, if you want to come in town and live our layed back lifestyle you are welcome, but if you think you are going to move into our town and change the way we have lived for decades, I would very strongly think about staying where you are now, or moving to a location where they live in the fast lane.

comehere
stranger

Reged: 01/13/07
Loc: King George
      #1187195 - 10/18/07 08:25 AM (205.188.117.17)

"Kill off the small private businesses"..... What small businesses are you talking about??... CB needs to concentrate on getting Tourism to it's Town and the only way to do that is with VISUAL Improvement, New Stores, Resturaunts (that stay open) and of course The Beach!!... The benefit of Tourism is the people come and spend their money then LEAVE. The only way this will happen is through change, it's gonna happen so you "ole-timers" might as well take advantage of it....

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1188951 - 10/20/07 06:07 PM (63.172.83.18)

Nicely put, Beachbum.
A few years ago I read an interesting book in the CRRL library collection titled something like "Oyster Wars on the Chesapeake."
Great stories and several involved Colonial beach and how people would get up and watch the Maryland bay patrol chase boats back to the Beach.
There was one where they chased a CG citizen back and he beached his boat up some small creek and when the Maryland coppers followed, he ran to his truck, grabbed a rifle and told-em to skedaddle.
I got to telling a friend about this one and he saidyeah, he knew the guy. He told me the guy was quite a character and had his arm blown off by his wife using a shotgun.
I think he said they stayed married afterwards, too.....

Get the town's zoning changed pronto, otherwise it's gonna be townhouse hell where woods now stand, taxes will be sky-high and those who have lived there all their lives will find the character of the town gone as they find themselves run off by the taxes all these Mr. and Mrs. Helpers will bring with them.

--------------------

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Re: The Point a year later [Re: BobiMaGee]
      #1188954 - 10/20/07 06:17 PM (63.172.83.18)

Quote:

. Let's all work together to make it like it used to be..because let's face it, for many years it didn't look like a nice place to live.

"used to be"?
How much history of Colonial Beach are you aware of?
Colonial Beach has always been a blue collar town that was a bit rough, a town whose residents lived off the water.
Yes, there was a brief boom when casinos opened up and folks would come down from D.C. on gambling cruises, but that was a fairly short period in the town's history.

I hope the native Colonial Beachers are able to see clearly what is coming their way and are able to stave off the growth that will destroy what Colonial Beach has always been.

--------------------

Tiger Coach
stranger

Reged: 03/10/07
Loc: Rio
      #1215227 - 12/07/07 11:57 AM (71.168.4.134)

Quote:

Sorry Tiger Coach, but I'm not going anywhere. Why should the residents who have lived in Colonial Beach all their lives, or most of it, have to change our lifestyle which we have enjoyed for over one hundred years just because Mr. & Mrs Got Bucks wants to come in town and build their mini-mansions, and put up condos, and bring into town large chain retail stores which will kill off the small private businesses. Like I have said before, if you want to come in town and live our layed back lifestyle you are welcome, but if you think you are going to move into our town and change the way we have lived for decades, I would very strongly think about staying where you are now, or moving to a location where they live in the fast lane.

And who the heck do you think you are, Do you own Colonial Beach, how about if you cant handle it, move somewhere , like waltons mountain, Mayberry, Little house on the prarrie.

comehere
stranger

Re: The Point a year later [Re: Tiger Coach]
      #1215566 - 12/08/07 08:25 AM (64.12.117.17)

The Casinos will be back!!!!...The Condos are already there... Now what??... Face reality, CB NEEDS help!!...

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Re: The Point a year later [Re: comehere]
      #1220043 - 12/17/07 08:31 PM (63.172.83.18)

Quote:

"Kill off the small private businesses"..... What small businesses are you talking about??... CB needs to concentrate on getting Tourism to it's Town and the only way to do that is with VISUAL Improvement, New Stores, Resturaunts (that stay open) and of course The Beach!!... The benefit of Tourism is the people come and spend their money then LEAVE. The only way this will happen is through change, it's gonna happen so you "ole-timers" might as well take advantage of it....

What you "come heres" don't understand is that what makes Colonial Beach unique and gives it it's character is those very "ole timers" you want to disparage.

Those "ole timers" have always gotten by just fine, thank you, without the input of a bunch of pointy-headed ninnies who have not had a part in building the character, charm and social fabric of Colonial Beach, but who think they can barge right in and change things around to their liking.

Insrtead of being a "come here," make everyone happy and be a "been here-and-ain't-coming-back."

--------------------

Jinxy
FUG Honcho

#1220111 - 12/17/07 10:39 PM (70.208.204.88)

I find all of this "come here" / "go away" stuff surprising. I've seen nothing but warmth and friendly new neighbors since moving into the community 8 weeks ago.

--------------------

comehere
stranger

#1220262 - 12/18/07 11:42 AM (64.12.117.17)

"Ole-Timers" is a quote/name that has been used to describe the mindset/thinking of certain individuals, NEVER has it been intented to identify a particular age group!! I have nothing but respect for elderly people and if my posts come across in a different light I"M VERY SORRY as thats not my intent.. If you'll notice my other posts you'll see that watching elderly folks trying to operate their wheelchairs on the gravel parking lots of our local businesses is what "put the hot iron up my butt"!!!...

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1230625 - 01/09/08 06:23 PM (63.172.83.18)

Quote:

I find all of this "come here" / "go away" stuff surprising. I've seen nothing but warmth and friendly new neighbors since moving into the community 8 weeks ago.

There are indeed wonderful people in Colonial Beach.

"Come-here" refers more to the self-important loud-mouthed pointy-headed blowhards who think they can just move in and tell other people how to live their lives and think they can disrupt those lives and change everything to their liking.
They are the worst neighbors one could have.

You, on the other hand, jinxy, are nice and not like that.

--------------------

Jinxy
FUG Honcho

#1232644 - 01/12/08 12:47 AM (75.196.52.190)

Thanks Burqa, you're a doll too.

Maybe we've already smiled and waved at each other since you and I are friendly like that...

--------------------

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1232671 - 01/12/08 06:33 AM (63.172.83.18)

I'm sure we have.
Jinxy, you couldn't be nicer and somehow nice people tend to find each other.
If I was a betting man I'd put my truck title on the line betting that comehere is fron upnawth, and I'd bet a paycheck on atrocious breeding.
So many of them just don't know how to be neighborly.

As you know, I have spent a lot of time traveling in Europe and the attitude we see from comehere is exactly where that stereotype of the "ugly American" came from. I see it all the time over there.
Many Americans come in, thinking they know it all and are there to enlighten everyone with their great ideas on how to change everything and all they do is put people off so any better ideas they have are ignored because their ways are so off-putting.
I'll admit to being that way at first and it took me two weeks on my first trip to Paris before I got to begin to understand that this is not how to act, that I should act in another person's country the same way I would act in their home.

Imagine having comehere visit your home for the first time and here he/she came, putting on the loud, know-it-all act, telling you everything was wrong, ordering you to change the color the walls were painted, moving the furniture around, changing the recipes in your recipe files, changing the tv to programs comehere wanted to watch, rearranging your refrigerator, telling you how rotten your taste was and throwing stuff out that didn't strike comehere's fancy, then grabbing your checkbook and buying a bunch of stuff that comehere decided you should have...

--------------------

sherrylyn
stranger

#1233470 - 01/13/08 06:38 PM (71.253.236.212)

Oh good grief! Is cleaning up your yard, repairing the streets, cutting down over grown brush, hiding your garbage, taking the living room furniture off your front porch, painting, landscaping a little, hiding your outside junk, such a horrible change!

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

#1233620 - 01/13/08 08:59 PM (192.65.245.47)

No, it is not.
But arriving in town with all sorts of big ideas and dismissive attitudes toward "ole timers" is just plain un-neighborly.

I have previously suggested that new arrivals need to fit in and be a part of the existing community and quietly pitch in, work within the established social and political system and not be so brash and blowhard-y about it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8092

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com