YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | Dahlgren | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland   TODAY: 04.21.14 | 

Communities >> King George

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
wgeeze
FUG Freshman

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: King George
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: lita3176]
      #1153158 - 08/14/07 02:16 PM (67.142.130.32)

That's one of the nice things about King George -- two main roads (Rt. 3 & Rt. 301) to navigate your way around town.

In Fredericksburg, you have one road -- Rt. 3.

The same thing happened when we lived in Calvert County. There's one road -- Rt. 4 and, during rush hour and peak shopping times, it can take 30 minutes to go through town -- which only consists of 4 stop lights!

Geeze

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gonefishin
FUG Freshman

Reged: 01/23/07
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: wgeeze]
      #1153542 - 08/15/07 01:25 PM (63.162.143.21)

Well. I came from Charles County and I can tell you for fact that Central Park traffic is nothing compared to Waldorf traffic on the weekend.

Evander
FUG Honcho

Reged: 08/04/07
Loc: a little off center
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Gonefishin]
      #1153546 - 08/15/07 01:31 PM (71.63.63.90)

Quote:

Well. I came from Charles County and I can tell you for fact that Central Park traffic is nothing compared to Waldorf traffic on the weekend.

Nah-nah-nah! My traffic's worse than yours!

rally2xs
Mega FUG

Reged: 04/03/07
Loc: King George, Va
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Evander]
      #1153566 - 08/15/07 01:58 PM (138.162.0.42)

Quote:

Quote:

Nah-nah-nah! My traffic's worse than yours!

Really gonna love retiring back to Indianapolis, where congestion means a farm tractor with 10 cars following it...

Central Park has screwy roads, and isn't very walkable 'cuz its so big, but I like it anyway. It has what I want. Movies. Gym. Bookstore. Electronics stores. What else is there?

--------------------
...and almost convinced the PPACA is every bit as bad as the wankers say it is. - John1315

lita3176
FUG Sophomore

Reged: 08/02/07
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Gonefishin]
      #1154036 - 08/16/07 01:27 PM (159.67.20.49)

Quote:

Yes I did too and I can agree with you 100%. Its the same reason I came to KG. It starts from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. Now I see that the Nice bridge is starting to get congested especially on the weekends. So now what? We need a bigger bridge.

CbtEngr
FUG Sophomore

Reged: 10/13/05
      #1154039 - 08/16/07 01:40 PM (138.162.0.44)

Well actually MD is thinking about widening the bridge. There was an article in the KG Journal that I got yesterday. Seems MD wants to grab 8 acres around the wayside beach area extending through the visitor center and ending close to the entrance of Barnsfield park (as they would have a bridge/travel lanes going though them)

lita3176
FUG Sophomore

Reged: 08/02/07
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: CbtEngr]
      #1154080 - 08/16/07 02:23 PM (159.67.20.49)

Hmmm... Seems like a plan to me. Thanks for the info. KG will not be far behind in agreeing with MD. KG will be getting more money and congestion as long as these houses keep going up. You think we will be the next Waldorf. Hope not

Gonefishin
FUG Freshman

Reged: 01/23/07
      #1154093 - 08/16/07 02:58 PM (63.162.143.21)

I think we are a ways from being like Waldorf in King George. Rt. 301 is steadily going to get worse though as more people use it as an alternative to I-95.

kgvip2006
FUG Senior

Reged: 07/14/04
Loc: Fredericksburg,Va (King George...
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Fade2Black]
      #1161617 - 08/30/07 05:13 PM (63.172.80.151)

i went to centurt 21 and they told me they will be breaking ground march 2008 for the retail lot. There will be a Walmart there!!!!

also did you know that a side campus of William and Mary will be built in Kg????

CbtEngr
FUG Sophomore

Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: kgvip2006]
      #1161798 - 08/31/07 12:19 AM (71.161.56.180)

Now there is some news. The talk was Walmart or Target and Lowe's or Home Depot but nothing definite.

You all think they will meet the advertised date of "Opening Summer of 2008"? Come on CVS or Walgreen (sp?)

Thanks for the info

Guitarist
FUG Sophomore

Reged: 11/13/05
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: kgvip2006]
      #1162279 - 08/31/07 08:32 PM (71.171.106.126)

Quote:

i went to centurt 21 and they told me they will be breaking ground march 2008 for the retail lot. There will be a Walmart there!!!!

also did you know that a side campus of William and Mary will be built in Kg????

I know that Mary Washington is going to build a campus in King George/Dahlgren but I wasn't aware of W&M plans. Do you have any more info on this?

Burqajoint
Permanent FUG Fixture

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: The grotto at Chateau Burquoi...
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: peppermill]
      #1162422 - 09/01/07 02:13 AM (72.209.240.42)

Quote:

I hope they build here in a smart way, and not like they did Central Park. What a mess that place is. I don't understand why they have to create all those curvy roads, when grids are so much easier to navigate and understand! And if you want to park and then walk from one store to another, you take your life into your hands.

The developers will do as they damned well please unless you organize and stand strong against every politician in their pocket.
Stand for a moratorium on building permits and zoning.
Don't be fooled by slogans like "smart growth."
The development will always be waaaaay ahead of the roads and you have higher taxes, increased conjestion and such an influx of people that the local character will be destroyed.

If you fail to organize a voting bloc you are doomed, doomed, I say!

The county will be paved and you'll have yourselves the gridlock, the higher taxes, the loss of culture, the constant noise, and the crappy anthill housing developments.

Go to your board of supervisors meetings, raise hell, organize and when they try that "smart growth" crap, ask them for a model and take a look at the tax increases you will pay.

--------------------
Has Hannity been waterboarded yet?

Fade2Black
FUG Senior

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: K.G. VA
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Burqajoint]
      #1171927 - 09/20/07 01:13 AM (66.82.9.49)

Once the development genie is let out of the bottle you can't stop it... I have seen it happen in several places in the DC & Baltimore Metro areas.

500,000 sq ft is HUGE! This means major retail... once this retail goes in I would expect that WHOLE corridor from the bridge to the light will be developed into even more.

I hope that the design and developement of this retail at Gateway will be something nice like the one I visted in California when I was out there this past summer... more of a town center type of design...

www.victoriagardensie.com

Matter of fact the new portion of the Spotsylvania (Mall) Towne Centre is what I am talking about and that is only half the size of the Gateway property.

http://www.spotscentre.com/stc.htm

http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com/articles/MAY06/story24.shtml

Fade2Black
FUG Senior

#1208069 - 11/23/07 09:46 PM (66.82.9.61)

Quote:

Looks like King George is moving closer to the 21st century.

ARE YOU READY!?!?!?!?

Are Wal-Mart, Lowe's looking at King George County site? RITE AID'S TRAFFIC IMPACT STUDY

By COREY BYERS

A new study hints that Wal-Mart and Lowe's are considering opening stores off U.S. 301 in King George County. Officials with both companies and the county are being tight-lipped.

But a recent traffic study included in plans for a new Rite Aid pharmacy notes a proposed Lowe's and Wal- Mart west of the U.S. 301 and Owens Drive (State Route 614) intersection.

That would be about two miles east of the proposed Rite Aid, across from the Naval Support Facility at Dahlgren.

The study also notes correspondence with representatives of the two companies and says the proposed Lowe's is estimated to be 90,000 to 120,000 square feet and the proposed Wal-Mart is estimated at 180,000 to 190,000 square feet.

Wells and Associates Inc. prepared the study, dated Oct. 9, 2007, for Rite Aid Corp. Neither Wal-Mart nor Lowe's has filed site plans with the county.

Maureen Rich, a spokeswoman for Lowe's, said in an e-mail last week that the company has not purchased property in the county.

"It's our policy not to comment about specific sites Lowe's may be considering for new stores unless we have closed on all real-estate matters," Rich said.

Kelly Hobbs, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, issued a similar e-mail statement.

"While we have been looking at opportunities in King George County, we don't have any specific plans to share right now," Hobbs said.

Ashley Flower, a spokeswoman for Rite Aid, said the company does extensive studies, taking into account population, competition and the number of healthcare providers, before deciding to open a new store.

She said she had no information on whether Rite Aid decided on King George because of the possibility that Wal-Mart and Lowe's would locate nearby.

Dahlgren District Supervisor Steve Wolfe declined to comment specifically on the possibility of either retailer coming to his district.

"Those are private-sector initiatives--it would be inappropriate for me to talk about it," Wolfe said. " I don't want to jeopardize anything they may or may not be doing."

In a March newsletter to residents, Wolfe mentioned commercial development along U.S. 301 in Dahlgren that would include "three 'big-box' anchors of nationally-recognized chains."

"If it were to happen it would indeed be a significant event because King George is a retail-free zone," Wolfe said last week.

King George residents now must to travel to the Fredericksburg area or across the Harry W. Nice bridge into Charles County, Md., to shop at Wal-Mart or Lowe's.

Realestate broker Stan Palivoda said he is handling the sale of the commercially zoned property mentioned in the traffic study. He said part of the 153 acres will house a new University of Mary Washington graduate center.

Palivoda wouldn't say whether Wal-Mart or Lowe's was looking to build on the site, but did confirm plans for a 500,000-square-foot shopping center.

Signs for a retail center on the property advertise a summer 2008 opening. Palivoda said surveying and engineering are being done and that time frame is not exact.

He said if a Lowe's were to be built on the site, that would open the door to other national chains.

"All the other companies follow along because Lowe's is such a big traffic generator," Palivoda said.

Corey Byers: 540/735-1976
Email: cbyers@freelancestar.com

SwampThing2
FUG Professional

Reged: 10/29/07
      #1208072 - 11/23/07 10:15 PM (172.167.96.196)

There goes the country liven, they don't want to drive. give up one thing for another. Well that's great for me. sense I a contractor. But not good for my kids. safety , crime, traffic to name a few. Schools to small. they think this will bring $$$$$$$$$$$$ but if the $$$$$$$$$$ is not spent right By the BOS then like the millions of dolors missing all ready. We will be screwed. People better watch the spending. Just ask Stafford and spotsylvaina . high ho silver

Fade2Black
FUG Senior

Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: SwampThing2]
      #1208097 - 11/23/07 10:58 PM (66.82.9.61)

Quote:

There goes the country liven, they don't want to drive. give up one thing for another. Well that's great for me. sense I a contractor. But not good for my kids. safety , crime, traffic to name a few. Schools to small. they think this will bring $$$$$$$$$$$$ but if the $$$$$$$$$$ is not spent right By the BOS then like the millions of dolors missing all ready. We will be screwed. People better watch the spending. Just ask Stafford and spotsylvaina . high ho silver

While I understand some peoples feelings toward change… I do not think that the country living is going away. There will still be plenty of rural spaces in the county. I feel that the lost of country living as it was back in the day started to deteriorate almost 7 years ago when housing development started here. I am glad to see that the BOS did not allow the one developer the ability to double the amount of homes they wanted on a property near the retail area. The BOS should develop stricker rules on density development.

Those that say they are closer to Fredericksburg and would rather go there then K.G. will change their minds. I said the same thing when I lived in St Mary’s county Maryland and it was Waldorf or Lexington Park. It comes down to a personal choice of weather you want to deal with the congestion of Fredericksburg or not.

I agree that we need to stay on top of the BOS by monitoring their spending. So far I think it has been pretty good except for a few things. I personally would like to see more spending on the infrastructure as it relates to roads. I personally think that cross county connector roads such as 206 & 205 should be widened and traffic lights installed or portions of those roads like at 218.

As far as schools go...
http://www.journalpress.com/default.asp?...alpress&he=.com

Construction of a new middle and elementary schools are in the works for 2010-2011. The new high school as of November 1st had an enrollment of 1,219. The new high school will have a capacity of 1,700 students. So I personally think that that is covered. I would expect to see the school board to request a new high school sometime in the 2015 time frame. I also think that having the MARY WASHINGTON Graduate program occupying part of that space is OUTSTANDING.

Crime….
Well you can expect it to rise, to say other wise is foolish. I have not found anything as it relates to the Sheriff outlook on these issues. Most of the crime that I have observed is in the areas of traffic violations and drug related crimes. It should be noted that a majority of crime is found in low-income housing like town homes and apartments. If you want to keep crime low then you need to keep an eye on that type of development.

Traffic
I think we are already seeing bad traffic here. During the summer the two lane bridge is backed up. WHICH I am think there is the push for the bridge to be widen so that it would accommodate the extra traffic.

When the retail goes into that area, this will make it harder for that HAZMAT train to be diverted through K.G. in my opinion.

SwampThing2
FUG Professional

#1208469 - 11/24/07 08:13 PM (172.130.104.111)

I still think. there will be a lot of mistakes along the way. This may burn us if we and the BOS do not work together. Good communication is a key. I'm just concerned that the new people will take over. Those of us who have been here will lose our comfort. We chose to live here
because of peace and friendly neighbors. I don't mined growth ,just not out of control . I'm willing to pay and drive to fred.

RichOnTheRoad
FUGmaster Flash

Reged: 06/08/02
Loc: on the road
      #1208480 - 11/24/07 08:35 PM (70.187.217.180)

Quote:

While I understand some peoples feelings toward change… I do not think that the country living is going away. There will still be plenty of rural spaces in the county.

I remember when there were farms in Fairfax County. And then the builders came. There were few controls and little planning. Whether to widen a bridge or not will be the least of your problems.

SwampThing2
FUG Professional

Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: RichOnTheRoad]
      #1208492 - 11/24/07 09:28 PM (172.130.104.111)

thats my point. does any one no were i can get 20 acers way out in culpeper or around there , some where in the boonies?

Edited by SwampThing2 (11/24/07 10:00 PM)

RichOnTheRoad
FUGmaster Flash

#1208502 - 11/24/07 09:54 PM (70.187.217.180)

Better hurry:
http://www.trigondev.com/KingsManor.htm

RichOnTheRoad
FUGmaster Flash

#1208504 - 11/24/07 09:59 PM (70.187.217.180)

And:

According to Census figures released in 2006, Culpeper is the fastest-growing town in the commonwealth of Virginia (when calculating percentage growth). Among all United States counties, Culpeper ranks 18th in percentage growth.

For the past five years, a building boom has dramatically changed Culpeper's landscape. The county still maintains much of its rural heritage, but new subdivisions keep popping up at a steady pace.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/39rwak]Construction fueling residential growth
[/url]

SwampThing2
FUG Professional

#1208507 - 11/24/07 10:07 PM (172.130.104.111)

we are the fastest growing county to. Man where do we go!
I built this house for $101,500 including land. it now is wort $486.00.
go figure. another $100.000 and I can Retire.

CbtEngr
FUG Sophomore

#1252192 - 02/15/08 08:04 AM (138.163.0.44)

I usually don't like to bring up old threads but since its still on the first page and these forums aren't the busiest..I say what the hey!

Last I read they were going to possibly start clearing in March which is only a few weeks away. Anyone heard anything different?

This project is right up the road from where I live hence my interest.

dayzdaze
stranger

Reged: 05/24/06
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: Burqajoint]
      #1252919 - 02/16/08 05:30 PM (71.168.0.174)

Quote:

Quote:

The developers will do as they damned well please unless you organize and stand strong against every politician in their pocket.
Stand for a moratorium on building permits and zoning.
Don't be fooled by slogans like "smart growth."
The development will always be waaaaay ahead of the roads and you have higher taxes, increased conjestion and such an influx of people that the local character will be destroyed.

If you fail to organize a voting bloc you are doomed, doomed, I say!

The county will be paved and you'll have yourselves the gridlock, the higher taxes, the loss of culture, the constant noise, and the crappy anthill housing developments.

Go to your board of supervisors meetings, raise hell, organize and when they try that "smart growth" crap, ask them for a model and take a look at the tax increases you will pay.

You are so right, but will anyone listen?

vipper
Super FUG

Reged: 01/22/08
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: CbtEngr]
      #1252929 - 02/16/08 06:10 PM (66.174.79.226)

I here ya, I grew up in baybery and used to camp out in the woods over there.Changes comes I understand, but at who's cost. Look closely at the boards members and look at what some of them have to gain. One developer, three that have land investments in the local area, the others have perks from the others. Get to know your supervisor. Good old boy. you wait and see, they will over spend to force the county to need more revenue.

MachBuster
FUG Senior

Reged: 01/04/08
Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: vipper]
      #1252965 - 02/16/08 07:14 PM (71.161.57.91)

OK Vipper, there you go again, making highly dubious sweeping assertions without providing any facts to back it up. OK, let's take a look: Who is the developer? If you are referring to James Mullen, then while his work is related to development, he doesn't initiate anything because he is a hauler and a grader. He is also acutely sensitive to the position he is in as a Supervisor and knows he can't even appear to have a conflict of interest. If you are referring to Mr. Sisson, whose father in law is a local custom builder - and not a developer - then the burden of proof is on you to provide references to votes or any of his other actions that would substantiate your characterization. Mr. Sisson himself, as you may or may not know, is an engineer who works on the base. His voting record as a sup is clean on anti big development (he voted again both big rezonings last year and like his colleagues is being sued for it - more below).

Hmmmm, let's check out the other three Supervisors. Mr. Grzeika's property holdings in KG amount to only his residence (he is a contractor at the base), Mr. Brooks owns a funeral home in Port Royal, and Mr. Howard, who actually has a couple of real estate investments (was it him you were thinking about?) is a career procurement contracts specialist for the Navy.

Don't believe me? Give them a call.

As for these "perks" you mention, I'm all ears as to what specifically you are referring to.

Although Mr. Mullen is the new guy, over the years the Board has consistently (with the exception of Hopyard way back in 1995 and again in 2003) voted down large rezonings, did so twice last year, and are currently being sued for the rezoning they denied Augustine Homes last summer.

Almost all of the houses you see going up (not so many now however) are the result of "by right" development, which Boards have practically no control over save for a massive rewrite of local zoning laws (which ain't gonna happen for all kinds of reasons, legal and otherwise).

This doesn't sound like a Board hell-bent on massive development to me.

Also, what do you mean by "overspending"? The County has not run a deficit in at least 20 years, and this year's tiny shortfall is revenue driven and will be cured by whatever it takes.

Proof, please, and not baseless accusations.

Edited by MachBuster (02/16/08 07:17 PM)

vipper
Super FUG

Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: MachBuster]
      #1253013 - 02/16/08 08:23 PM (66.174.79.231)

hey thanks for your so persice speculation on who you think I was referring to.I can all ways count on you to put your own foot in your mouth.
So your saying the dump revenue is just on target?
your all so saying the deal over the y- is just what the public was told.
The Dahlgren sewer system and water system will be fixed,
because were on task.
it's my under standing as along with many others. we have the lowest pay scale for our staff (school teachers) in the area.
I'm questioning there motives as should every one.
unless you no them personally how would you no there motivations.
Are you one of them?
accusations is how questions get asked. maybe you don't what people questioning these very topics.
theres no excuse for the education of our children to be put as a lower priority than Y. Go ahead blame it on the school board. The BOS has ability to fund the schools better.
Thats right were not supposed question any one where just supposed to take it. Not.

DreamCatcher
FUG Graduate

Reged: 10/31/07
      #1253039 - 02/16/08 08:43 PM (71.253.237.180)

I don't agree that the BOS has underfunded the schools. I think the whole school board/administration machine needs to be fixed. They have too little expertise in budget.
And planning needs work. There are too many U-turns to get around especially near the KG Food Lion/Post Office area. A service road would have been a good start there. I heard a rumor one might be added, but I don't see it.
Planning is the key. Attracting businesses and retail that will add to the community, i.e. marketplace type development. I also make note that the new county hire to attract businesses is way overpaid.
The industrial center is a great project, but really didn't bring jobs to KG.
And what's up with the Heritage Trail? Too many unknowns there.

--------------------
We all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun.

MachBuster
FUG Senior

#1253053 - 02/16/08 09:15 PM (71.161.57.91)

Vipper,

No, I'm not one of them, but yes, I do "no" them all well.

I'm all for questioning authority, but there is a big difference between questions and accusations, the latter of which, as you well practice resorts to unfounded implications of misdeeds or malicious motives without anything to back it up with.

I also don't believe I mentioned anything about the school board in my previous post, and yes, landfill revenues are on target. Don't believe me? No problem but please feel free to check with Ms. Donita Harper, the County's Finance Director. It's all public information.

Have you actually looked at the teachers pay scale? Have you? I thought not. When you do, you will see that we are above most of our neighbors in some experience levels, pretty much even in others, and behind in other categories. Again, go look up the facts first.

Maybe you can share by what standard KG is underfunding its schools.

Oh, but silly me, I forgot. I "no" its easier to curse the (alleged) darkness than to light a candle.

Oh, and one last thing. The best thing about the trail is that nothing is happening. Nothing that is but quiet, crime free usage that's been almost invisible according to friends of mine on both sides of the issue, many of which live adjacent to it and were former fervent opponents.

Edited by MachBuster (02/16/08 09:17 PM)

vipper
Super FUG

#1253065 - 02/16/08 09:35 PM (66.174.79.234)

land fill targets are not on target. they are ten years shy of there target if not more. Dale told me that him self two years ago.
I asked him in person. Do you really what me to bring out 25 years of infoe on fred talk. I've talked to all of them at one point or another. thats why I want others to ask them the same questions.
I know james is new to the office.
yes to the teacher pay scale, I know a lot of them. and yes I all so know alot of teachers that work else were to.

vipper
Super FUG

#1253073 - 02/16/08 09:48 PM (66.174.79.234)

Do you all ways answer for some one ells or is this a way to divert the real question. on average the teachers in this county are payed 3% to 5% less than the surrounding counties.
They have a less supportive leave package and less heath.
most of the special education and learning disabled are in the trailers at the high school. the schools don't follow the IEP's for the state requirements. I no that for a fact.
I could go on all night if I wanted to. People ask questions
and if you get pushed to the side ask over until they answer.

MachBuster
FUG Senior

#1253100 - 02/16/08 10:10 PM (71.161.57.91)

Your comments about the landfill are laughable and absurd, and as usual are backed by no facts or data, but rather by the usual "I wuz told this and that."

I post nothing that asserts statements of fact without having the actual data close by. You want to post "25 years of infoe" here? Then by all means please do so, my grammatically challenged fellow KG resident. If you adhere to your usual pattern it will all be just the usual "I wuz told" or "I heard" BS.

I think that anyone who looks at my (admittedly so far limited) posting record here will notice that I'm detail oriented and if my facts in ANY particular post are wrong, then I expect to be called out for it.

To quote our second president

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770
US diplomat & politician (1735 - 1826)

Edited by MachBuster (02/17/08 01:02 AM)

DreamCatcher
FUG Graduate

#1253101 - 02/16/08 10:11 PM (71.253.237.180)

Vipper,
You are right on about the special ed program. Those trailers are divided into two classrooms and guess who's in them? Special ed classes.
I don't know if there are any statistics, but I bet at least 75% to 80% of youth crime (smoking, drinking, etc) are special ed students who get caught. I say "get caught" because regular ed students do the same stuff, just know how not to "get caught.'
Special ed students usually don't play high school sports, usually don't particpate in drama or music programs. And they're stuck in trailers most of the day. IEPs suck, triennials are not done or are incomplete. And most of the teachers are here for one year, then leave.
Why is that? Salary? No, it's because there is a serious problem in the system.

--------------------

MachBuster
FUG Senior

Re: King George Gateway Retail Shopping Center [Re: DreamCatcher]
      #1253112 - 02/16/08 10:19 PM (71.161.57.91)

Dream,

I suspect that there is a larger systemic administrative problem going on there. I mean really, how does a supposedly self supporting fund like the Cafeteria Fund get out of hand in a BIG way for two years in a row before anyone over there finally twigs to a problem?

Edited by MachBuster (02/17/08 01:00 AM)

DreamCatcher
FUG Graduate

#1253124 - 02/16/08 10:33 PM (71.253.237.180)

The cafeteria fund was underestimated. Had to be. I've heard a lot about enrollment being down, but cafeteria? It has to be a bit like running a restaurant, look at the history, include new costs adjustments and inflation, and voila, a decent budget.
There is a serious administrative problem, not just in the cafeteria. There doesn't seem to be any accountability. Parents who are proactive are considered a nuisance. The only way to get anything done is be the squeaky wheel. The school board is a joke; it's a popularity contest not a service oriented group.
Of course, there are the opportunies.... they're non-existent. There are no trade programs for high schoolers. I know Caroline County has a self sustaining auto repair program and a beautician program. No money from the budget, the program sustains itself. The kids win, the county wins.
There is no creative thinking, just a cover your butt kinda attitude.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FredTalkMod, john1315 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: **
Topic views: 104623

Rate this topic

Jump to

E-Mail the FredTalk Admins | Privacy statement (Site Rules and User Agreement) Go to fredericksburg.com